Recommend a diy hammer drill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my sister has asked me about buying a cordless hammer drill just to do odd jobs around the home, now usually I would check out what was on special at the trade counters but I have been off the tools for a couple of years now. So can anyone point me in the right direction please ?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Depends on your sisters budget really.
For diy odd wee jobs around the house any modest priced brushed drill would do.
I personally would go brushless drill that is on a deal.
Bosch do decent 18 volt combi with couple batteries, but it is not a pro drill. Very light and short body, so great in the hand and in tight spots.
I like Milwaukee brushless combi, either the fuel model or the cheaper version, but probably out of your sisters budget.
Also take a look at Dewalt or Makita.
SF do deals worth waiting for.
Do consider drill with 2 batteries is best so you always have a charged battery.
Also Ah (Amp hour) on batteries is the fuel tank basically and higher will give more run time. This might be irrelevant to someone just doing the odd bit of work.

I have a Lidl (parkside) sds hammer drill and impact driver and find them to be very good value for money. I also have a Worx brushless combi hammer drill on offer (possibly Argos) which seems good. I think both brands mentioned come with a 3 year warranty. The sds I can secure wc pans down in concrete floors, without much effort.

Edited: The only thing with the Lidl one’s, you have to wait for them to come in (offers change weekly).

Last edited:
I had forgot about Parkside cordless tools!
Note that Lidl sometimes have the new Parkside brushless cordless range in and they come incredibly with a 5 year warranty. They look top quality. More power also than their brushed range. Think the combi drill complete with a high Ah battery and a charger and case is under £70. Can’t beat that really.
Most top end tools have batteries alone near that price.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
It sort of depends on the usage. If it's going to be used 3 times a year and kept in the garden shed then a corded drill is the best option. Some of my corded tools (circular saw, BIG SDS drill etc) may not get used for a year or more yet still work perfectly despite being 15-20 years old.
I'd be interested if Parkside warranty the batteries for 5 years - surely it's a matter of physics (or is it chemistry) that they can't maintain 100% performance for 5 years? But I think parkside etc don't really care as most people will forget/lose the receipt etc after a year or so.

Chemistry or physics, all batteries deteriorate over time. I still have a couple of Makita 18 volt 5 Amp Li-Ion batteries which are now approaching 5 years of age, but I have to admit that they are now more like 3 Amp batteries these days in terms of run time.

Corded drills do last much longer, as my nearly 40 year old Black & Decker corded drill proves - and that one has variable speed, forward and reverse as well as a (admittedly relatively weak) hammer action.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not cordless, but my Black & Decker that I bought about 20 years ago is still going strong.

Yeah, fuel the tool theft market!
I'd never buy second hand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back