Recommend a vacuum cleaner for garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After a vacuum cleaner to tidy up the sawdust etc for my garage.

Ideally like one with a bag if possible?

I know Henry hoovers used to get recommended a few years ago.

Sponsored Links
They still do. Or Hetty's, Georges and a few other names they now use for the models in the range. Motors are usually Nilfisk and very reliable with easy access to spares should you ever need them.
Are you using it simply for vacuuming up sawdust or do you want to use it for dust extraction on a machine(s)? If you are looking for dust extraction then there are particular types you should consider.

They still do. Or Hetty's, Georges and a few other names they now use for the models in the range. Motors are usually Nilfisk and very reliable with easy access to spares should you ever need them.
Are you using it simply for vacuuming up sawdust or do you want to use it for dust extraction on a machine(s)? If you are looking for dust extraction then there are particular types you should consider.
It's for my dad but yes he wants to be able to use it for dust extraction.

Depending on budget, I have an Aldi one at home with power socket. Wet and dry, stainless drum and add hepa filters for fine dust. Screwfix sold probably (?) the same one

it depends on what material he is cutting (and how much)
Class H is very fine dust

Sponsored Links
I have a Festool midi for dust extraction and a Hetty, (minus bag but with boost switc), for wood shavings and any 'blow-out' which the Festool misses. Usually the bits that come off the top of the circular saw or sides of the router and pedestal drill. The crevice tool on Hetty is great for getting down the sides of benches etc.

I have a Festool midi for dust extraction and a Hetty, (minus bag but with boost switc), for wood shavings and any 'blow-out' which the Festool misses. Usually the bits that come off the top of the circular saw or sides of the router and pedestal drill. The crevice tool on Hetty is great for getting down the sides of benches etc.

Festool I'd imagine would be very expensive?

Is the hetty ok without using a bag? And is it ok to use for dust extraction on some tools?

Suggest and recommend a Record Power such as the DX1000 for a garage vac as also perfect for dust extraction as removes micron sized dust without loosing suction. And has a large dust capacity, no bag (uses a double filter) and cheap spares. Happy for use with risky items like MDF. But is a bit noisy and I bought a length of Henry hoover hose from eBay to connect to tools (they also sell a kit).

Down side is that has no stop/start (which I find essential) and is quite noisy (to be expected considering the amount of air it pulls though).

Budget about £130 to £140 new.

https://www.google.com/search?q=record+power+dx1000

Sometimes available a bit cheaper on eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...3&_odkw=record+power+dust+extractor&_osacat=0

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Build a cyclone and consider the noise of cheaper shop vacuums.

I have a festool. That's your best bet. Quiet. Power takeoff.
I have a titan shop vac with power takeoff but it's too noisy. Drives me nuts so don't get used much.

You can get a remote switch and hang up in garage to switch on and off if needed. Mine was £13.

Depends what you want. Are you running pipes to saws ect?

Build a cyclone and consider the noise of cheaper shop vacuums.

I have a festool. That's your best bet. Quiet. Power takeoff.
I have a titan shop vac with power takeoff but it's too noisy. Drives me nuts so don't get used much.

You can get a remote switch and hang up in garage to switch on and off if needed. Mine was £13.

Depends what you want. Are you running pipes to saws ect?
At the moment it's mainly just for DIY.

Something that he can use every now and then.

He just wants something he can attach to his tools to help with the extraction.

I've got a cleva vacmaster that works brilliantly. It has a built in start/stop function for power tools so it will auto turn on when you turn a saw on and turns off a few seconds after use. It doesn't have a bag but easy to empty out. Can be used as a wetvac too

Henry's are fine without a bag but the large filter does get quite dusty. After emptying the tub into the bin I hold the filter inside the bin and close the lid on my arm and give the filter a few bangs against the side to knock the majority of dust and bits off.

I've had a Pnts1500 wet and dry vac with power socket from Lidl for the last 3 years which has exceeded my expectations.
For really mucky or bulky stuff which would fill or block the bag quickly I use an ash can attachment, the latter I use on the house vac as well and it's superb.
IMG_20220115_154218833.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220211-061900.png
    Screenshot_20220211-061900.png
    116.1 KB · Views: 81
Can't really go wrong with Henry and they can be had for about £20-50 secondhand off ebay or Marketplace.

Henry's are fine without a bag but the large filter does get quite dusty. After emptying the tub into the bin I hold the filter inside the bin and close the lid on my arm and give the filter a few bangs against the side to knock the majority of dust and bits off.
When I had a Henry I did the same thing but enclosed it inside a recycling bag so didn't get any escape or dust up my wrists.
I found Henry filter did keep blocking quite regularly while connected to a sander though .

Note just a DIYer , so occasional use
i had an old henry and put that to use in the garage
and use as dust extraction and cleaning up
I use the Hepaflow bags
https://www.axminstertools.com/numatic-hepaflo-filter-bags-nvm-1ch-pkt-10-210628
available form lots of other places , just for example

and i have used on a planner , mitresaw, circular saw as dust extraction and then generally for drilling holes etc
I purchased a much longer pipe -
only downside is it does not turn on with the kit ,

If i was buying new , i would probably look at some of the Wet Vacuums , from the likes of machinemart as my son-in-law has one and it turns on/off with the tools
OR - read this forums and see what trade recommend at a good price, as you have done here - but just my thoughts FYI

He has this one when on offer and pre-covid price rises - i think £60
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/050511127/

BUT Note - i am a DIYer , but have done a lot of work with MDF sheet & Plywood sheet - constructing a lot of cupboards, window boxes and fitting out a cloakroom toilet

I looked into fitting up a remote control for it, but most seem to be designed for low current like TV and work on the TV
I did find one mentioned on a Peter Millard video for a vacuum cleaner - just NOT got around to it myself

When i first looked around 2019 ish it was £10 ish, now £20+
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000MPJ...olid=1UQXK3AIKKSCS&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back