Vacuum cleaner - any recommendations for a really good one?

Sponsored Links
My experience of an expensive Miele is as you describe for your vacuums, the filter - and everything else - gets blocked, unless you use it for carpet and floor dust.

I (or the woman who uses it) use the Miele in the house, for carpets, floors, soft furnishings.

I think that's what @Rollerball was asking for.

Not in the workshop or for hoovering up bits of brick and plaster.

It’s all the other debris that inevitably finds itself into a domestic vacuum, the Miele can’t cope with it unless it’s constantly emptied and blockages removed. It is overly complicated in it’s design.

Blup

Sponsored Links
I have 2 big dogs and have several vacuums and gone through loads more.

You will not find a vacuum that you will not need to empty and change filters on often.
We currently have a shark upright, they have an anti tangle head on now.
While it does pick up well it too needs emptying several times when doing the hoovering and the filters can be washed (get a 2nd set so it can be used while they dry).

We also have the miele cat & dog one, the filter bags are expensive so I empty them (think the reverse of stuffing a turkey) lol

When you ultimately find a vacuum cleaner that really does pick all the hair up and does not need emptying every 5 minutes then please do come back and let us know as I am sure that there are
tens of thousands of dog owners who would like to know :)

Miele consumables are expensive, I think the only real solution is to get a commercial type vacuum with large bags and large washable filters.

Blup

I buy Third party Bags for my Miele. They come with new filters and are good quality. My Miele is coming up for 24 years old, and it’s still a good sucker:oops:

Shouldn't you ask this question on 'Mums Net', as it's mostly the women who do the cleaning?

Andy

Thanks for giving me my first belly laugh of the day. :)

As my wife does most of the vacuuming the replacement vac is for her to make her life easier. I don't though have any objections to doing the job (when my buggered up back isn't giving me grief).

Get a Henry, (Henrietta, George, Pete etc they now come in different colours hence the different names), they are tough enough to use in a workshop and a lot of office/factory cleaners use them or their Nilfisk equivalent. Everything gets caught in the bag which is easy to remove and they hold quite a bit of dirt. A good model will also have a boost switch for extra power if needed.

Thanks, so no filters to clog up with fine dust and dirt particles (which then need to be regularly cleaned)?

yes, but after the bag, there is a motor filter (to catch fine particles and protect the fan and motor), and a HEPA filter (to catch ultra-fine allegens) and an Exhaust filter (which in some cases in carbon-impregnated to deodorise the warm air that blows out)

I may have got the order of those wrong.

If, like me, you are very frugal, you can buy the filter material in sheets and cut it to fit. You get a few filters in each pack of bags, but I like to change them every time I change the bag. You can also buy non-original bags and filters. If you have allergies you might need to buy the best quality parts.

Dust packs down very tightly inside the bags so they seem to hold a lot, and are quite heavy by the time they're full.

The bags are not brown paper, but some kind of layered cloth-like material, white.

I think ours is a C3, but they make several models. Some of the variations, e.g. the "pet" and the "allergy" are the same apart from the colour and the filters supplied when new.

Thanks for the detailed information, I'm wondering if any kind of filter is going to get blocked up with my particular application.

Thanks, so no filters to clog up with fine dust and dirt particles (which then need to be regularly cleaned)?

My (old) Henry has a large washable filter and a courser, much larger drop in one. I think it is supposed to use bags, but I have never bothered.

Our old AEG upright, supposedly for pet hairs - is a vortex style, with a fine washable plastic mesh, then a washable sponge, then finally HEPA filter. That has to be emptied on each use, then the filters cleaned every few weeks.

Thanks for the very helpful advice from everyone.

Now I'm pondering which of the following to buy:

Nilfisk Aero: https://www.screwfix.com/p/nilfisk-aero-26-21-pc-1250w-25ltr-wet-dry-vacuum-cleaner-240v/66972

Festool Midi: https://www.festool.co.uk/products/...e-dust-extractors/574835---ctl-midi-i-gb-240v (although this doesn't seem to have the normal vacuum tool attachments for carpets, etc?)

Miele C3: https://www.johnlewis.com/miele-complete-c3-vacuum-cleaner/p5552006

Henry Xtra: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Henry-Bagged-Cylinder-Vacuum-Litre/dp/B00N2S94ZY/

I'm looking into which one is least likely to get its fine dust filters clogged up and hence need cleaning every few minutes.

I change the Miele filters when it needs a new bag. I often buy non-original bags, sometimes from Germany, though the Brexers may gave cocked that up.

I don't think it has ever clogged.

It is not used on building sites.

It is light and very quiet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back