Recommend Me A Combi Please?

Million dollar question...

What would be a reasonable amount to expect to pay for swapping out my existing combi for a new one in the same place?

The GlowWorm 25 quote was around £1600. From what I can see that model is around £800 (inc VAT) - so I assume installation is going to be making up the other £800?

And why not? If he does a good job and instal is done like it should be, then do not see you as being ripped off

Went to a house yesterday to service boiler and fire. Fire had to be reinstalled as it was badly fitted and not installed as per MIs. Boiler also fitted but with undersized gas line and several other defects ( will need revisit to remedy)

If your boiler is fitted using good materials and skills and installer will attend if there is a boiler or workmanship issue without quibble, then what he charges will be fair

Sponsored Links
I assume installation is going to be making up the other £800?

No. The other materials and costs associated with running a business make up the remainder. Some of that will be for the labour.

How did he get to your house for the survey?

Float there on a cloud of butterflies and good intentions?

Some grumpy people on here this morning ;)

I didn't say it was expensive / too much / anything else did I...? Just was looking for an idea of if that was about the standard amount.

That way I know I should be paying roughly boiler cost + £---.

It's not a case of being grumpy. Asking for prices for boiler installations on a diy Internet forum when no one can see the job is pointless at best.

Sponsored Links
I understand that, I was only looking for a ballpark figure for an 'all things being equal' and 'straight forward' replacement of one combi with another.

This kind of thing is a little unnecessary when I make no comment on the cost...

How did he get to your house for the survey?

Float there on a cloud of butterflies and good intentions?

Just had another quote / estimate through. Neither have actually come out or seen any pictures. Different boiler, so makes it hard to compare cost.

And what if things are not equal?

There are several basic things that have a dramatic effect on costs.

None of these things are known.

As you have just found out, prices vary drastically. Geographic location is also a factor

Well we'll leave that one then ;)

Latest is for an 'Baxi EcoBlue' 10yr parts & labour guarantee - too good to be true!? The quote is around £100-£200 more than the Glow-Worm
Energy 25, but the guarantee is twice as long.

Some grumpy people on here this morning ;)

I didn't say it was expensive / too much / anything else did I...? Just was looking for an idea of if that was about the standard amount.

That way I know I should be paying roughly boiler cost + £---.

It is very difficult to be pricecomparedotcom sitting behind a computer screen

Some of the relevant things that need thinking are, gas line size for boiler being fitted, flue location, system controls, system sedimentation/ need to clean etc. For instance there are people who say they can power flush a system and fit a boiler in an afternoon. Either they are superhuman or work like superman as power flush alone can take almost a day to be effective. Chemical clean if carried out as per makers instruction may well take similar time if not more

Gas line sizing, a simple exercise, often neglected

Your property will be unique in that none/ some or all of above might need attending so price you indicate means nothing

Well we'll leave that one then ;)

Latest is for an 'Baxi EcoBlue' 10yr parts & labour guarantee - too good to be true!? The quote is around £100-£200 more than the Glow-Worm
Energy 25, but the guarantee is twice as long.
Better built than the GW in my opinion. Baxi seem to be pretty good with their warranties. The main control display is a bit of a faff, but well-proven and seems to be reliable. Easy boiler to work on, and built from metal rather than plastic

Buying from a company you've heard of is always a good idea.

If you had bought a boiler from Baxi (or Potterton) in the last 25yrs it would have been from;

-Qualcast Birmid
-Blue Circle
-BC Venture Capital Partners
- and the current owner, De Dietrich Remeha

I think that's the wrong way round. Potterton were the company bought and sold by the first two until Baxi bought them out.

Baxi were solid, then went bonkers and stopped being a family run partnership like John Lewis when the workers sold all their shares to a fast burn twit who then bought Potterton, amongst a lot of other things. Expanded the company into the ground crucufied with debt when BDR Thema who own De Detriecht Remeha saved them. I was told they were two weeks away from bankruptcy.

If memory serves.

Liking the new avatar vc :). Is the hound in the dog house?
The dog''s having a break. The Scottish office has a room that's rarely used and I saw a couple of the old posters in there From when an Italian was over running the company I think. We got a bit prim and proper after that. I have copies on the wall in my office as my old boss was not keen on anything 'suggestive' and I like to annoy.

Some of the guys on here say they like a boiler to be a bit brassy.

We had an ad with a woman enjoying a hot bath where they had the waterline photoshopped up to cover even more of her body though nothing interesting was visible anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back