Recommend Power drill for decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I plan on making some decking in the garden. I have a corded Dewalt power dill if I need to drill into brick, but I wanted a cordless power dill for use on the screws. Not too worried about charge time as its a DIY job and no time constraints. I wonder if there is a particular voltage, I am guessing 18v, and also unsure what torque would be needed.

I think just a power screwdriver may be too week so happy to buy a drill and may not need the hammer action. I know Makita and Dewalt are good but I may only use it mainly for this single job.

I did buy a cheap power saw once for cutting loft boards which was fine for the single job and worth paying a little for the time and energy saved!

thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
I'd get an impact driver and drill driver/combi drill twin pack, the impact driver is a life saver although possibly not for decking boards but you'll find use for it on the base framing
18v probably the way to go but a bit bigger and heavier, I've got 10v it's fine most of the time but a bit under powered, if I bought again I'd go 18v

I have a ryobi 18v and it is great
My mate saw it and bought a similar one on-line that came with a soft bag and torque driver for the same price as mine ( hard case that I threw away)

I have several ryobi's that all take the same pack

Sponsored Links
Screwfix have got a dewalt 18v impact driver and drill twin pack for the same price, no brainer unless I'm missing something

Fair enough, I'd still be tempted by the dewalt though, does that just relate to how long the batteries hold charge?

amps are the fuel tank
volts are the engine
so double the amps double the run time at the same power consumption

The good thing with brands like Makita and DeWalt is they will last well and if you find you don't need them after the jobs done, they hold money well, providing they're looked after.

With lithium tools they can stand for a long time and the batteries won't deteriorate like the old NiCd batteries did.

Most of my tools for work are at the higher end/price range which I wouldn't advise for a one off but last week I bought a Makita Brushless drill driver from the new CXT 10.8v line and it's absolutely brilliant for the price.

You can get this stuff really cheap new, it's well made and really powerful for its voltage. Normally I'm all 18v but I needed something lightweight.

the way i look at it trade like dewalt used for diy will last several generations far outlasting the batteries
stuff like ryobi will do 80% off what trade tools do and will often last for a few generations
if you buy ryobi they in general will far outlast a diy generation but for the same price off say 3 dewalt tools you will get 5 or 6 ryobi tools that will give you more tools more efficient working
so why buy tools with a life for future generations when on average the next generation wont want or use them

The Ryobi impact drivers will eat bits though - the new(er) ones are rated at 220Nm compared to a lot of the DeWalt/Makita impact drivers that seem to be around the 160Nm...whether that power difference is real or marketing is another matter but the Ryobi does seem to have a bit more grunt.

I've got the RID1801 model and have used a mate's Makita BL Impact driver - bit destroying aside they both get the job done - main difference between them I'd say is the makita is more compact and quite a bit lighter. I got the Ryobi as I already had a combi drill but if I was starting over I'd probably buy a DeWalt/Makita kit - preferably brushless.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back