Recommendation for a Garage Door Lock?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I've got some old timber sliding barn doors on the back of my garage. The were completely rotten after 100 years of service so we've cut off the bottoms and refurbished them with new wood. I've made the first two panels fixed now and the third panel is still a door. Before it used to open in, but now I've had to make it so it opens out:

2538-A5-F1-5509-43-BC-AD1-A-97-EAAB04-D093.jpg

8283-DF34-83-C1-429-E-8234-A20-BD3314322.jpg

A43-C2453-411-A-40-C4-B32-A-F4-CBB16-D5991.jpg

A77-DFEA4-1122-45-CF-A98-B-732-FF7834-CBB.jpg

As you can see, the old door used to have a simple rim lock on it, but I'm looking for a more suitable lock now. Ideally I'd like to open it with a nice handle to turn and lock it from the outside. A sash lock is an obvious solution, but because of the timber joinery at the area the sash lock would be position I don't wish to do that. Instead I'm considering a surface mounted lock that will go on the front. I've found lots of 'outside access' locks which seem to do what I want, but they're intened for emergency exits and are quite ugly for domestic use. This is one from Briton I've just bought:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Being a garage I'm OK with the functions of this pair, although the panic latch that will go on the inside is a bit bulky obviously. Will these be OK to fit, or are there better suggestions? Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
That's a security bar for a shed. I'm after a nice lock with a handle that can be opened and locked from the outside. Hopefully in brushed stainless steel, or similar.

The Briton 1413 Outside Access Device‎ I've bought is fine, however it's a bit ugly to look at. I can get a similar one from Allgood (https://www.allgood.co.uk/product/9327-allgood-hardware-external-access-device/) that's brushed steel, but I don't know if it'll work with the Briton panic latch on the inside. In fact I'd be happy to ditch that big panic latch, but need something to pair with the Briton 1413 Outside Access Device‎ on the outside. Or ditch it all for something better/more suitable.

Sponsored Links
As you already have the hole for the Yale lock
you might be able to use a
Gate Garage Throw Door Lock Rim Key Long Bolt
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...t=0&_odkw=Garage+Throw+Door+Lock+Rim+Key+Bolt

View attachment 197643
Thank you, that is interesting. I looked at these before for my garden side gate, but wanted something more susbstantial so bought a Yale British Standard night latch. However I can see the advantage of this in that it will provide more allowance through the seasons as the doors swell, shrink and shift around. When it comes to my garage door though I've different requirements. I want to get in and out of the garage often and simply, just by turning a handle. I won't be locking it with a key very much apart from occassions when I go away for a few days, or sometimes overnight. Therefore I need the sort of functions provided by a sash ock, but one that can be surface mounted. I guess I could combine Gatemate Long Throw Security Lock with an additional outside handle and latch, and only lock the Gatemate when I need.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
want to get in and out of the garage often and simply, just by turning a handle
Yes, agreed as that lock I showed needs a full 360deg turn of the key to lock it. Not a quick opener or closer.
But the one I have has been outside in rain on my gates for 5 years and still working perfectly and seems very strong.
SFK

Last edited:
Yes, it may be what I end up fitting to my Garden Side Gate I think. But I'm inclined to just go with my Briton emergency access lock for the garage, as odd as it looks, or something like this?

https://www.toolstation.com/era-door-knob-set/p29779

29779.jpg

Maybe security would be right up there with the best deadlocks, but that's not a priority, convenience is.

Well, after spending some time hunting around I've come to the conclusion that a standard sash lock would be ideal, but not possible to fit because of the mortice and tenon joint in the door where I would want to position it. If I placed it underneath that area it would still be a good height, but that rebated grip is already cut there making it equally complicated. The Briton Outside Access device I've bought seems great on the outside of the door, but the panic pad that goes on the inside is overly bulky and catches the frame when opening the door, so that rules that out! I don't know if the outside handle can be paired with a smaller rim lock on the inside, or if it will only work with a Briton panic device, so unfortunately won't be able to investigate further (anyone know?)

After eliminating all the above I'm wondering if the only real option is this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ikonic-I...551164&hash=item1f00be4518:g:R-kAAOSwRrlb~sV0

s-l1600.jpg

The main advantage is that I wouldn't have the cut out the door frame as much as I would for a sash lock. However, what worries me is that it's only £10 and I have no idea if 'Ikonic' is a good brand. Does anyone know of a lock similar to the above, but one that is built to a relatively high standard? Thanks!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
that's quite a poor lock, an American style knobset/lockset, mostly made of zinc alloy and pressed steel. Burglars just hit the handle to break it off. It is actually fitted using a large round hole. 2 1/4" I think it might be.

Why don't you use a rimlock?

What are the dimensions of the door stiles?

You could fit a Chubb 3G220 mortice deadlock (it is unusually narrow) or similar halfway up the height of the door, as a lock, and a have a knob-operated latch at some convenient point.

Or you could use a pair of Enfield bolts on the same key. They are mounted on inside surface of the door and give good security on a garage.

Are you likely to be burgled by anyone who has any knowledge or skills on locks? If not, there is a good rimlock I'd suggest.

I may have missed it, but why not use a nightlatch of the Yale type?

Some of them can have the latch reversed for outward opening.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply John, that's informative. The reason I wasn't going to fit another nightlatch is that I want to primarily operate the garage door from the outside, not inside. I have Yale P-89-DMG-PB-60 nightlatch as well as a Yale BS1 British Standard nightlatch, but they would need me to open the garage door with a key each time I entered and require use of both hands (one to turn a key and one to pull a handle). The garage is frequently entered to store odds and ends and retrieve things on wet nights. Ideally I wanted a single handle I could use to latch it open and closed. Security isn't a number 1 concern, but it is a good bonus (in the past 20 years the doors have been too bent to actually close, much less lock!) The other thing is that I've rebuilt the door so it now opens out, not in, so I'll have to check if my nightlatches will work like that.

The stile is only 70mm as far as I remember, so I was considering a slim sash lock, but am compromised on where I can fit it. Maybe the best plan is to fit the low security keyed handle that I linked to above, just for convenience. And then pair that with a decent deadlock that can be positioned lower down in the stile, as you suggest?

SFK suggestion is superior to any you suggested yourself, very strong .
...and doesn't do any of the things I require - to operate the door from the outside with a handle.

Why is it less secure to add a seperate deadlock to a primary latch/handle?

...and doesn't do any of the things I require - to operate the door from the outside with a handle.

Why is it less secure to add a seperate deadlock to a primary latch/handle?
Easy enough to add a door handle, dead lock on outward opening door is easily levered open only a few mm of frame to break out .

Well, I'm not too clued up on the various types of lock, but I don know what my requirements are and the restrictions on the door I've got to work with.

- Number one requirement is that the door can be opened with one hand using just a handle. My mum has had a stroke and fumbling around with keys and then struggling with a heavy door being gripped with only a small key in the rain whilst also carrying bags in the other hand is simply not going to work. The door opens outward so unfortunately can't be opened with a key and then leaned in to. It might be OK for those who are fit and visiting the garage once in a blue moon, but not in this case. This needs a nice big handle to grip and pull.

- The only two kinds of lock I've found which are operated from the outside with a handle are a sash lock and that Ikonic thing posted above: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ikonic-I...551164&hash=item1f00be4518:g:R-kAAOSwRrlb~sV0

- The sash lock is perfectly fine but I was trying to avoid it because of problems with the door: 70mm stile and existing mortice and tenon joint and rebated grip make positioning on the door tricky or time consuming, but potentially do-able. It needs to go here somewhere:

A43-C2453-411-A-40-C4-B32-A-F4-CBB16-D5991.jpg

A77-DFEA4-1122-45-CF-A98-B-732-FF7834-CBB.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back