Recommendations for a adsl modem router- Texecom/ Hikvision connecting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've previously had a nightmare getting a BT provided one to to work with a COMIP on a Texecom alarm as it kept seeing to loose settings/ revert to some default settings under port forwarding etc from what I can recall.

For the moment it's working... but I don't have much faith in it and would rather upgrade it now.

In addition, a Hikvision NVR is also connected.

Someone has suggested a TP Link Archer AC1200 VR400... Any other suggestions? Only got ADSL at the moment but there is FTTP is available so might go for that in the next year or so.

Thick stone walls in an old house so a strong signal would be beneficial as well as simple to use for the likes of port forwarding etc.

Also, do any of these automatically reset in the event they loose internet connection rather than having to physically turn it on and off again?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
The BT hub shouldn't lose its port forwarding except when the firmware of the hub is updated.

As for routers you may want to look at wifi boosters, to help with wireless signal.

Like most things it will come down to budget, I know those that upgraded to an ASUS RT-88 saw significant improvements in wireless, but it isn't cheap.

The BT hub shouldn't lose its port forwarding except when the firmware of the hub is updated.

None of them have ever even done that. I've been using port forwarding since the HomeHub 1 and had everything in between. Whilst there are quirks, dropping config is not something I've ever seen and settings have always been preserved when BT push out f/w updates.

Sponsored Links
seen a few lose config, I say that but the customer may have wiped it clean.

Probably, BT's support team have a habit of suggesting a reboot, then plugging in to the master socket and then if all else fails a factory reset of the router before they'll do anything about a fault. Pain in the arse.

Not sure what settings were being lost now, changed etc, but I know there was a quirk with something where I had to go into the router and change something when I connected locally (as opposed to remotely) to the alarm with the wrong outside IP. Can't recall what it was now to be honest but I'm very wary of it now.

What router is recommended and will any reset automatically (like a power down) if they loose internet?

My penny’s worth.

Ditch any form of homehub from bt in the main mostly not up to the Job and they do update them and sometimes change things remotely.

Separate you modem and router out so you don’t need a combined one.

I have used for a good while the trusty bt openreach modem HG612 which you can pick up very easily on eBay.

Then to go in to that you can use any router you want really. I use the ASUS rt N66 for a while but have just updated to the rt Ac86u, which has great Wi-fi on 2 and 5ghz. You just need to add in the router setup.

Then I would get your homehub turn off dhcp also get a power line adaptor and use both together to site your home hub in the furtherest point away from you main router and the Home hub effectively becomes a new wireless access point.

One thing to note (at least when I last use the homehub) they had an isssue with naming the 2 and 5ghz channels with the same ssid, the theory being your device would jump to which ever signal was better. In practice it just confused most devices giving random drop outs or poor connections. So I would additionally give the 2 and 5 ghz ssids Different names.

Edit.

Use RMerlin firmware on the ASUS routers far better and trouble free operation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back