Recommendations for a good heat gun.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not used/had a heat gun for quite a few years but now have a project that will require the use of one.
Anyone got any recommendations on a good reliable brand?
The project is stripping a solid pine tabletop, which seems to have a varnished or stained surface and also had 'stuff' spilt on it, suffered scrapes & scratches etc.
Also got 6 chairs which have been painted and upholstered in need of some attention.
Plan is to strip back the tabletop and chairs to bare wood, sand down thoroughly and then stain/varnish the top and re-paint the chairs.

Sponsored Links
The questlons have to be, "How long do you want it to last?", "Does it need to be variable temperature?" and "What's your budget?"

I used to have a cheap green Bosch variable temp gun at home which lasted about 5 years with intermittent (ab)use. It was OK and cost maybe a fiver more than the B&D of the day. It was replaced by a 110v Steinel (Model HG) which has done 8 years, but cost over £100 back then (about £150 these days). It featured infinitely variable temperature and variable fan speed - by way of comparison the 3-speed 2-temperature version of the same gun is in the £50 to £60 bracket (Model HL). I csn still get parts for mine, although I'm not sure I'd bother repairing it if it went pop

Whatever you buy factor in the fact that electronic controls will never be as long lived as simpler controls.

When using any heat gun never just turn it off at the end if a "hot" session - always run the gun on the lower setting for a few minutes and then on cold (blow only) for at least 5 minutes after using it to cool down the heating elements. The heating elements are at their most fragile when hot and more prone to breakage if you just turn the gun off than if you cool it down first - ask any vinyl flooring fitter

I have been very happy with my digital (LCD) Steinel HG 2330E heat gun

But I very much doubt it would make sense for you to pay £150-170.

For years I had a green (DIY) Bosch heat gun with 3 airflow/temperature settings. From memory it only cost about £38 (20 years ago).

Before you buy anything, you need to work out what material you are removing. Heat guns are pants at removing water based paints and coatings like French polish.

French polish will become soft if you rub meths or household ammonia on it.

Water based paints become soft it you rub meths, acetone or cellulose thinner on them. Cellulose will cause the paint to ripple in seconds but you should wear PVC gloves.

Two pack sprays, oil based varnish and danish oil will ripple and blister with methyl chloride paint stripper- technically you can only buy it in 5L containers because of the risk of carcinogens, but, erm, you can buy 1L containers on ebay- again wear PVC gloves- it was the active ingredient in old skool paint strippers.

If the table and chairs are the only things that you are stripping, I would recommend the appropriate solvent, gloves and an old synthetic tarp, along with a stock of webrax (scouring) pads for the rounded profiles.

When using any heat gun never just turn it off at the end if a "hot" session - always run the gun on the lower setting for a few minutes and then on cold (blow only) for at least 5 minutes after using it to cool down the heating elements. The heating elements are at their most fragile when hot and more prone to breakage if you just turn the gun off than if you cool it down first - ask any vinyl flooring fitter

Yeah, mine recommends running it until the digital display shows the lowest setting (80 degrees)- note the the OP- you may still burn yourself if you touch the end. Mine has an internal battery/capacitor that flashes a LED (even when unplugged) until it is safe to touch.

As @JobAndKnock suggests, rather than longevity, there are other factors at play. Ours will have a defined period of time where spares are available. Mine will reach my requested temperature and tell me that it has. There is an optional extra that will tell me the temperature of the surface that I am heating (I have no need for it and guess it is for people using wraps on cars). The flex will be longer than a cheap silverline one. I know it sounds silly, but even the ergonomics are better compared to my old DIY Bosch one. When I need to take a break, I can leave in on a flat surface so that the nozzle is pointing upwards. I couldn't do that my Bosch. Oh... and I have a bucket load of nozzle attachments to choose from- ones that have a curved back for heat shrink cables, ones that allow me to use hot weld rods (never tried that but hope to one day). I can even purchase a filter to reduce the amount of dust that gets sucked in from the back of the gun when in operation- I don't need one yet, but I often work on the same site as a brick pointer- if he is raking out whilst I am using my gun, I risk the gun sucking in grit and damaging it.

Sponsored Links
Don't think I will be using it extensively so looking for a basic model but don't want to spend £50-£100 on something that only lasts 6 months to a year. Not sure yet what the finish is as we are picking the table/chairs up tomorrow evening. Good information from Opps regarding the finish so will try to determine what it is when I pick it up.
Thanks JAK for the tips on cooling it down first before switching off. I think I'm looking for one with a range of interchangeable heads in case they would be needed. Rather have them and not need them than need them and not have them.

Looking at the following;

Never heard of this make but 'seems' a good one,
and this one,

As it is a project to occupy me, now I'm going semi-retired, there is no rush so I'll have a think about their individual merits and decide over the next few days.

Thanks for the replies and guidance guys. Much appreciated.

I've got a cheap heat gun, has lasted for years, probably cost £15/£20 new. Works fine, but only has 2 settings "lukewarm" or "blowtorch"!

Lidl had cheap heat guns in recently, might still be some left in a few stores?

I've had a dewalt corded heat gun for many years, it works at full temperature for 3 or 4 hours in a row without any sign of heating up.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back