Recommendations for a good survey

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Having used DIYnot a lot in the past for my last project, I am now in the process of buying my next house in North London. I want to get a survey but have been frustrated by some that I have had in the past and would be interested in recommendations. The house is a 4 storey town house in Islington and needs most things done inlcuding some structural problems round the front steps to the upper ground. I would also like someone who is prepared to have me accompany them - and ask specific questions to get behind the survey answers - if that is at all possible.

Is there anyone on here who has any recommendations or indeed who would be interested in this kind of job?

Many thanks in advance,
Chris

Sponsored Links
My advice is to negotiate with a local surveyor to have a bespoke survey covering specific items. You might, for example, exclude decorative and cosmetic items - or plumbing and heating - or electrical. etc. etc.

Have the surveyor concentrate on the important items - i.e. things that might cost you a large sum of money in the future or will devalue the property. (same thing really) In particular I would make sure the roof structure is thoroughly inspected and also ask the vendor if there are any carpets - and maybe even loose floorboards - that could be lifted - there often are in older houses.

I have often had clients accompany me on surveys so I don't see a problem with that. Obviously, if the surveyor isn't into any of the above then go somewhere else.

It may be pot-luck as to getting a good surveyor. There are large firms with impersonal surveyors, or small firms/sole traders who are not really bothered.

You could try and ask to view a copy of a recent report to see if you are happy with the format and content, but they may not want to disclose such a report as it may contain private data

With regards to attending with the surveyor, then you may be seen as a nuisance and will prevent a thorough survey if you want to keep interrupting with questions. And you are probably not aware but the survey is just for looking - no comment or conclusions are made until the report is written up and further investigation/research done.

Your best bet is to allow the survey then if need be, pay for a revisit for the surveyor to go through the report and point the things out to you

I`ll come and hff a look for you...I had ze Grand Fater in der Luftwaffe. I`ll consult his diary and see if the is any damage to your road.

Sponsored Links
Thank you all for your useful replies.

Jeds, I have messaged you off forum.

Nige - Islington is full of areas of new housing where bombs fell - that might explain my structural problems - I will send you the invoice for any work that needs doing! ;)

Many thanks
Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back