Recommendations of builder to do "shell" loft conv

ASM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Can anyone recommend a builder to do "shell" loft conversion. Basically I need someone to do the structural work and get me to a place where I can get on with the inside.

I've had numerous "companies" around to quote me but I am not after a "one stop shop" and when I ask them to quote me on just the shell they say no.

I've gotten the plan and the PP and I have sourced the steels, windows and doors. (I know its not the done thing but needs must...) All I need is a decent builder whos willing to take on the job and do it well and get paid.

It does however seem to be a little too much to ask in the SW of London...

Any thoughts suggestions?

Sponsored Links
The reluctance may come from the fact that you are building the basic shell therefore could be taking the profit making parts of the job away from these companies.

Or it could be a project management issue whereby you as the client want to cherry pic what parts you want built and have responsibility for. By this i mean responsibility for ordering materials, sorting building control, sorting trades etc.

My advice would be to find either a willing small builder or a good experienced bricke, roofer, widow fitter etc, (complete with insurances) and scrub up on the latest reg's and have a good knowledge of sourcing materials and where they are needed.

Hi

Could I ask how you got on in the end as that's what we are looking to do also? (and are based in SW London :) )

Sponsored Links
:oops:

Sorry - I though it was a post from July 2011, but I think tahts when he joined the forum.

:oops: :oops:

There are builders who are happy just to work on day rates but i am up in leeds so bit far to travel for the guys i know.

personaly i like working on a day rate. Means i aint gotta sit and price a job (which i hate doing) All i need do is turn up and work my ass off. Builders that want to earn would be happy on a day rate. Builders that want to make money will be happier giving a price.

Thanks all, always good to get replies. But does anyone actually know of someone who wants to do the job!!!

Cheers

I've gotten the plan and the PP and I have sourced the steels, windows and doors. (I know its not the done thing but needs must...)

There's your answer. You've tried to skim all the cream for yourself and now the job is going to be fraught with split liabilities/responsibilities. Most reputable builders won't want to go near it.

'Skim all the cream'? I worked bloody hard for that cream as you like to put it and want it to work just as hard back.

Let me see if i understand what you are saying, because i dont see why i should let a builder add a 20 percent or more mark up on the exact same supplies i know i can source and get to site on time i am not going to be able to find a 'reputable' builder.

Please explain?

It sounds like you are you saying that you get a good reputation in the building trade only if you not only charge for the work you do but also for adding a markup on materials just so you can cream more money from the job.

What ever happened to a good days pay for a good days work.

Its lucky were not in the middle of a financial meltdown with mass unemployment and that there is plenty of work out there...

Maybe rather than trying to spend my money giving employment to the UK building trade I'll take myself on a nice carribean hoiday.

ASM, what does your loft conversion actually involve? ie hip to gable conversion, dormers? etc. How much are you increasing the volume by?

@ASM

No good getting worked up: it's not as if the people replying are trying to talk you into something unrealistic. You have already proved yourself that what you want to do is not acceptable to the builders you have approached.

The choice is stark but simple :

1) Carry on looking
2) Project manage and hire individual trades
3) Swallow and buy the package

I'm not in the building trade, by the way.

mointainwalker, let me assure you I am not getting worked up.

I just found the comment fasinating and frankly an insult to the good builders out there who dont put the price of a velux window up by 100% just because its hidden in a big number at the bottom of a quote.

I fully understand my options. My original intention to try and give the work to a local english builder I will just forget. Have a couple of Kiwi and Irish builders coming around today happy to quote for this job.

Memories of the past are coming back to me. Looks like some lessons are hard to learn.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back