Recommendations of builder to do "shell" loft conv

mointainwalker, let me assure you I am not getting worked up.

I just found the comment fasinating and frankly an insult to the good builders out there who dont put the price of a velux window up by 100% just because its hidden in a big number at the bottom of a quote.

I fully understand my options. My original intention to try and give the work to a local english builder I will just forget. Have a couple of Kiwi and Irish builders coming around today happy to quote for this job.

Memories of the past are coming back to me. Looks like some lessons are hard to learn.

ASM, what does the conversion actually consist of? ie dormers, hip to gable etc?

Sponsored Links
Looking at the language from your postings it seems that you want to be in control of the job, i.e. buying the materials, dealing with B.C., dealing with differing trades etc.

This may flag-up as a warning to a lot of builders who are not happy to be restricted to the kind of building work that you are expecting. It almost seems as if you want a nodding agreeing laccy that is happy to be flogged whilst you do the whipping, as it were.

You have got to ask yourself that, in times of austerity, recession, credit crunch, high prices, low wages etc, why are builders refusing to work for you???

Nosey is right. Plus they will see you as a penny pincher that wants cheap, cheap, cheap. No-one likes as customer like that.

Of course I want to be in control. This is MY house. One that I worked very hard for.

I don't particulary want to by materials but when "reputable" builders are charging my £3000 for steel I know I can get for £1k and £400 for velux windows I know I can get for £250. Of course I am going to want to buy my own materials.

I was under the impression that the building trade was a service industry.
I am a paying customer so it baffles me that you use the phrase:

"This may flag-up as a warning to a lot of builders who are not happy to be restricted to the kind of building work that you are expecting."

As the one paying I would have thought that is exactly what they should be doing...

As for your nodding laccy nonsence, frankly I don't even feel it warrants a response.

You are right about one point though, I have asked myself why I found it hard to find a builder and the answer arrived at my door a few hours ago, it was a very nice Kiwi builder who summed it up nicely by saying "there are still plenty of suckers out there with plenty of money willing to pay".

I guess I'm just not one of them.

P.S.
Just to be clear, no builder has refused to work with me. I have refused to employ them.

Sponsored Links
joe-90

I am not cheap cheap cheap. I am happy to pay good money for good work, but there is only one person in this world that has the pleasure of screwing me.

:D

mointainwalker, let me assure you I am not getting worked up.

I just found the comment fasinating and frankly an insult to the good builders out there who dont put the price of a velux window up by 100% just because its hidden in a big number at the bottom of a quote.

I fully understand my options. My original intention to try and give the work to a local english builder I will just forget. Have a couple of Kiwi and Irish builders coming around today happy to quote for this job.

Memories of the past are coming back to me. Looks like some lessons are hard to learn.

ASM, what does the conversion actually consist of? ie dormers, hip to gable etc?

Ok, I'm bored of asking now

Let me see if i understand what you are saying, because i dont see why i should let a builder add a 20 percent or more mark up on the exact same supplies i know i can source and get to site on time i am not going to be able to find a 'reputable' builder.

Please explain?

It sounds like you are you saying that you get a good reputation in the building trade only if you not only charge for the work you do but also for adding a markup on materials just so you can cream more money from the job.

No, that's not what I said. The reason you are having difficulties getting a builder to take the job on is because you have sourced some of the materials and this complicates the contractual liability. Who has measured up for the steels, windows and doors?

I don't particulary want to by materials but when "reputable" builders are charging my £3000 for steel I know I can get for £1k.

How do you know they were charging you £3000 for the steel? That's a huge difference. Have you had a detailed quotation for materials only? Are you sure you're comparing like for like? Can you post up the exact specification for the steelwork? Thanks :D

Let us know how you get on ASM, I'm looking to do a fairly similar thing with our house at some point, get it structurally converted first, with minimal disruption to the family, then gradually work on the rest of it myself over the following year....not 'skimming the cream' lol, just the slow and steady gradual way I like to do things lol. :)

Don't think it'll be impossible to find somebody to do it for you, just difficult. From my (limited) experience, I've always found it much much trickier to get somebody in to do parts of a job, or a custom job, than it is to just pay full whack for a 'package'.

Come, come, ASM don't be rude we've answered your questions, be polite and answer ours':-

How do you know they were charging you £3000 for the steel? That's a huge difference. Have you had a detailed quotation for materials only? Are you sure you're comparing like for like? Can you post up the exact specification for the steelwork? Thanks :D

Indus has also asked you the same question three times now:-

Ok, I'm bored of asking now

Come on, help us to help you :D .

Hi soory, been busy with my appointed builder. Scoffolding goig up next week.

Indus, I sent you a private message via the forum with all the details I take it you didn't get it?

Is there any particular reason you've not answered my questions ASM? I can explain them if you're having difficulty understanding them.

Hi soory, been busy with my appointed builder. Scoffolding goig up next week.

Indus, I sent you a private message via the forum with all the details I take it you didn't get it?

Just wondering how you got on as we are looking for a builder in SW london to build an extension shell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back