Recommendations pls for branded sockets & switches

Do NOT NOT NOT use BG.

Their accessories go wrong too quickly.

Could you please elaborate further?

Personally, I think there's nothing nicer looking than the Crabtree Platinum range in black nickel. They are bloody expensive, but can be got cheaper on ebay etc.

Bear in mind though (and this applies to all flat plate accessories, not just Crabtree), that despite what they say in the instructions, you'll need deeper than normal back boxes - 35mm for the sockets and 25mm for the light switches, particularly if you've got a lot of wires to connect e.g. two ring final cables plus a spur. They can also be a pig to fit on pre-existing uneven surfaces.

Edit re question about pulling off flat plate: the ones I've come across clip on very tightly and require a flat bladed screwdriver to remove them, so I wouldn't say it's an issue having children around them.

All my switch sockets have neutral wiring and deeper 45mm? back boxes after I instructed the builder do put those in because of my home automation requirements.
Schneider/Get flat plate, if you have nice Flat walls.

Had these for the last 20 years+ Never had to replace any of them.

Nice switching action too.

Why do flat walls matter? Do they bow on one side otherwise. I guess with screw versions you can mechanically adjust each side, is that why its not an issue if walls are not straight?

Any suggestions for the cheapest quality place to buy all these recommended products?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back