Good quality branded Georgian brass light switch and wall sockets?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm looking to change my MK logic switch and sockets to the brass and maybe Georgian type of switches and sockets? Any recommendations on good brands on par with MK for these type of switch and sockets?

Sponsored Links
Hi I'm looking to change my MK logic switch and sockets to the brass and maybe Georgian type of switches and sockets? Any recommendations on good brands on par with MK for these type of switch and sockets?
Albeit MK have 'gone downhill' a fair bit in recent times, why not MK ones themselves (which would certainly 'be on a par with MK' :) )?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Bear in mind that every time you attempt to put a plug into the socket, the pins of the plug are likely to rub against the socket face and will scratch it; over a period of time this will be quite disfiguring. I've just replaced my remaining brass sockets with MK Logic which are effective, safe and unobtrusive (and won't cost anything as you already have them) Still, it's up to you

Albeit MK have 'gone downhill' a fair bit in recent times, why not MK ones themselves (which would certainly 'be on a par with MK' :) )?

Kind Regards, John

When I was searching brass wall socket there wasn't any MKs came up with the search but since you mentioned I looked at their website and found the model number, but still very few stores carry them,not sure why.

I only know MK because my builder praised it a lot but what other brands would you recommend if MK have ' gone downhill'?

Brass fittings? Ooh how modern!

But if you must

CLICKME.

Not saying I'm going for the most modern look but was look for something have slightly better quality feel of the white plastic MK I got.

The brushed brass one from your link looks good I think - and affordable. Thanks for the link!

I looked at their website and found the model number, but still very few stores carry them,not sure why
Because they aren't really popular anymore. Certainly not as popular as they were. I can count on one hand the number of brass accessories I've fitted in the past few years

Bear in mind that every time you attempt to put a plug into the socket, the pins of the plug are likely to rub against the socket face and will scratch it; over a period of time this will be quite disfiguring. I've just replaced my remaining brass sockets with MK Logic which are effective, safe and unobtrusive (and won't cost anything as you already have them) Still, it's up to you

Fair point. The old brass sockets were scratched badly, but I think that was years of usage, the house is 30yrs old I don't know if they changed anything during the period. I'm looking at some of the brushed brass options, should be more resistant to scratch compared to the polished ones?

I have not done the whole house but probably 2/3 of it so yeah need to think about the costs too.

When I was searching brass wall socket there wasn't any MKs came up with the search but since you mentioned I looked at their website and found the model number, but still very few stores carry them,not sure why.
I'm not sure where you've been looking, but places like TLC still seem to stock a fair range of "Georgian" brass accessories ...
click here
and here
and here
and here
I only know MK because my builder praised it a lot but what other brands would you recommend if MK have ' gone downhill'?
Most of mine are either MK or cheap 'own brand' ones and I have to say that, 20-30 years later, I don't think the latter have done any worse than the MK ones. As for 'going downhill' I'm not convinced that, in general, they are much worse than most of the alternatives - but the point is that they were once 'way ahead' of most of the competition, but that is no longer the case.

Kind Regards, John

I sometimes wonder what other "Georgian" things people have in their houses.

Do they have a "Georgian" cooking appliance in their "Georgian" kitchen, for example, to go with their "Georgian" kitchen cupboards, worktops, and fridge/freezer? Do those cupboards hold their "Georgian" crockery? Does their kitchen or utility room house their "Georgian" washing machine and tumble drier?

What is this obsession with faux, anachronistic electrical accessories all about?

I sometimes wonder what other "Georgian" things people have in their houses.
Albeit only in a fairly small part of my house, I have some Georgian walls, windows, joists, floorboards etc. :)
Do they have a "Georgian" cooking appliance .... What is this obsession with faux, anachronistic electrical accessories all about?
I'm not sure that there is anything particularly Georgian about "Georgian" electrical accessories, anything particularly Victorian about the "Victorian" ones or anything particularly Edwardian about the "Edwardian" ones - they seem to be just words that, somewhere along the line, have been adopted to describe accessories with a particular visual style.

It is just the words that concern you? Would you wonder whether you would be talking about an 'obsession' on the part of people choosing those accessories if they were called something else (e.g. "Polished brass with bevelled edges" instead of "Victorian")?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back