Recommended wood, size, and spacing for airing cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm presently converting our old airing cupboard back into an airing cupboard (last owner had removed the boiler and ceiling to give himself a bigger loft access).

I have already lowered the original ceiling height to install more insulation, and am installing a radiator and electric tubular heaters for occassional summer use.

What would you recommend as the size, type and specing of the slats for the shelving? I don't have anything to go on as a template.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
use 2x1" planed comes out at 21x43mm slightly smaller from wicks b&q etc
baton each side
start at the front edge and work back using a slats as a spacer [20mm]

if there is going to be any heavy loads use 4x1" 21x 95mm for the slats with 21mm space

Thanks big all

What wood do you recommend? Is normal softwood OK or would you recommend pine/redwood?

Sponsored Links
just normal planed timber can be referred to as pse[planed square edge ]par [planed all round]
if you go to a wood yard or timber merchant just ask for 2x1" planed otherwise go for the metric as thats what they will say in b&q wicks ect 18x44mm give or take 2mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back