Built in Airing and Store Cupboard Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on this site so hello!

I was wondering if somebody could help me with some tips on a built in airing and store cabinet I want to build in to the end of my utility room.

Here is a picture of the current space where it will go (wall to wall and floor to ceiling)

utilroompic.jpg

Here is a mockup of what it will look like.

utilroommodel.png

I am thinking of building a timber frame screwed to the rear wall, and side walls, then hanging Ikea doors to match the other units using normal IKEA hinges (in the mockup I've used door sizes I can get from Ikea). Then I'll use white-laminated chipboard to face the inside and to build some shelves. I'll try to face the front edges with mdf and paint them.

The two doors on the left will open out into full width shelves for laundry. The cupboard to the right will have a single shelf near the top, and underneath will store brooms, mops, hoover etc. Then the cupboard in the gap on the far right will just be for storage. The upper cupboard will also just be for storage.

I have OK basic DIY skills. I have a decent toolbox plus hand saws, jigsaw, drills etc. I don't have a circular saw / router / anything like that.

Here are my questions:

1) What size timber should I use for the frame?
2) What size screws should I use?
3) Do you think I can get away with not removing the skirting board? If not how should I do it? I don't have a grinder or dremmel but I have a tenon saw?
4) Any tips on construction of the frame itself?
5) I presume its ok not to screwn the front cross-batten of the frame into the floor (I don't fancy drilling the tiles).

Thanks in advance!

Z.

Sponsored Links
No need for a frame simple mdf panels fixed to rear and each other will form ideal unit to hang doors on. Are you moving extractor fan? radiator?

No need for a frame simple mdf panels fixed to rear and each other will form ideal unit to hang doors on. Are you moving extractor fan? radiator?

Hi, thanks for your reply! I can't really visualise how that would work - how for example would I secure the MDF panels going front to back at the wall edges?

I can't move the rad or fan, but the latter will be outside of the cupboard anyhow.

Thanks,

Z

You could build as several free standing units and secure to wall with a few steel plates.

Sponsored Links
MDF has an annoying tendancy for plastic deformation (it bends and stays bent rather than springing back) under heavy loads and long spans.

Plywood is a more elastic material, but costs more.

in both cases, be sure to pilot drill screw holes in the edges of the boards to prevent splitting. Glue joints if it's a permenant structure. Dowles can also be useful.

If you do want to use battons, 1.5in x 0.75in would be more than enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back