Reconditioning domestic water pumps

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I have a Salamander Domestic water pump, to boost water pressure in hot/cold pipes and it stopped working. Had to get a new one, the old one is only a few years old and can I recondition it as a spare?

Sponsored Links
Depends on your skillset and what the failure was.

If it was the mech seal, that prevents water from the pump entering the internals of the pump motor body, then I would say don't bother.
These are very fragile discs, which can crack/break very easily, even when great care is taken fitting them. They are not exclusively expensive, (we used to be able to buy quite small ones for about £40 at list price if bought in bulk), so breaking one is not really an option when you can buy a new pump for about £150.
If it's something like a start capacitor or a few rubber seals then yes, give it ago.
You have to weigh up costs of spares against probability of success.

I'd send it too a professional to get it done, Pump was 600 euros new and the old one is not that old either. Someone left a tap on in house, and the trickle kept the pump running until it stopped working? Surely, I won't have to replace pumps every few years at that rate and price? Thanks for Reply.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back