Recording

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to record from a Sky + or Sky HD box, things that have previously been recorded on the hard drive, onto a DVD recordable disc?
Or is the transmission scrambled to prevent this?

Wotan

Sponsored Links
It's perfectly possible.

If your DVD recorder can record via RGB SCART then use the TV output SCART socket on the Sky box, this will give the best picture quality. If not then a close 2nd best will be S-Video + stereo audio, followed by bottom of the heap Composite video (A.K.A. CVBS) from the VCR/DVR SCART socket on the Sky box.

As long as you still have a valid sky card you can transfer to another DVD or hard drive but because sky only charge for films when watched not when recorded all data on sky box hard drive is encrypted so if you record something when you have valid card and then try to watch after removing the subscription to that service it will fail.

I have also noted with some programs one can miss some audio when transferring. UK Gold I have noted has a problem when transferring but not when recorded direct but other programs don't seem to have the problem.

The audio missed is often only half a second or less.

I do a double transfer first to hard drive then I remove adverts then to DVD. The transfer option removes the ability to fast forward and is really only handy in that you can set to to play a series of programs unattended.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back