Recreate artex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Put my foot through the ceiling a few years ago.

Have got round to repairing the board from the loft and have filled the crack and hole with easifill.

It looks great as there isn't a big crack and hole now but I've over done the filler so some smooth bits are more noticeable than I would like. Obviously the hole was always going to be smooth.

How I create the subtle artex finish? The shapes are not very deep at all?

Artex filler and a special roller?

I am a complete amateur. It probably shows!

Thanks

IMG_20200507_164037.jpg
IMG_20200507_164029.jpg

Sponsored Links
An artex roller may well do it, but only leave the new artex on the new filled in bit, and remove it from the parts that are already artexed.

You may be able to get some sort of pattern with your finger, by placing a plastic bag over your hand. To be honest the pattern is probably too intricate for that, but may be worth a try.

Again, remove the excess from the parts that don't need doing, as it will stand out.

Good work so far.

Thanks.

Could I get away with slapping on the paint thickly and mould some shapes into that? Or it is too thin?

Or water down the easifill a bit more?

Annoyed I went OTT with the filler!

It's worth a go.

You could practice some techniques on a scrap bit of wood.

You may be able to create a stippled effect with some wet filler and a brush.

There's a danger of overdoing it, so don't put too much on.

Sponsored Links
I think that pattern is done with a sponge in a plastic bag. You dab it against the ceiling and pull it off.

I think that pattern is done with a sponge in a plastic bag. You dab it against the ceiling and pull it off.

Thanks.

Is this done with just paint? As in this ceiling isn't artex?

Quick update.

Tried just dabbing a roller into the ceiling. Looked ok at first but where I had too much filler underneath it didn't look great in the end as wasn't completely flat

One thing led to another and I tried running down. that led to just hacking of the paint I had put on back to bare plaster. I skimmed a coat of easifill on it and will rub down.

This is quickly getting at of hand but what else am I meant to do in lockdown !

Just need to get that easifill level and recreate the pattern. Will try bag and sponge.

Shall I purchase some artex for this?

IMG_20200510_171202.jpg

Last edited:
Quick update.

Tried just dabbing a roller into the ceiling. Looked ok at first but where I had too much filler underneath it didn't look great in the end as wasn't completely flat

One thing led to another and I tried running down. that led to just hacking of the paint I had put on back to bare plaster. I skimmed a coat of easifill on it and will rub down.

This is quickly getting at of hand but what else am I meant to do in lockdown !

Just need to get that easifill level and recreate the pattern. Will try bag and sponge.

Shall I purchase some artex for this?

View attachment 192000
it’s not a bad start. let it dry, at least you’ll have something solid to work on.
you should be able to recreate that pattern with the filler youve got

Thanks.

Is this done with just paint? As in this ceiling isn't artex?

if you can get your hands on that kind of product, it will be best. I once had a small patch to do and mixed up some finish plaster (or maybe I used pollyfilla, which has a longer working time?) to a wet, mud-like consistency. It worked near enough with a sponge in bag that other people would not see it once the ceiling was painted matt. troweled it lightly onto the ceiling first and worked quickly before it had time to dry or set.

Nobody else will look at the ceiling as hard as you do (unless you have a dissatisfied wife).

(I subsequently had the whole ceiling skimmed because I don't like Artex.)

if you can get your hands on that kind of product, it will be best. I once had a small patch to do and mixed up some finish plaster (or maybe I used pollyfilla, which has a longer working time?) to a wet, mud-like consistency. It worked near enough with a sponge in bag that other people would not see it once the ceiling was painted matt. troweled it lightly onto the ceiling first and worked quickly before it had time to dry or set.

Nobody else will look at the ceiling as hard as you do (unless you have a dissatisfied wife).

(I subsequently had the whole ceiling skimmed because I don't like Artex.)

Thanks. I'll have a practice with some easifill to see if I can replicate otherwise I'll buy some proper stuff.

it’s not a bad start. let it dry, at least you’ll have something solid to work on.
you should be able to recreate that pattern with the filler youve got

It's looking flat now which is good. Once I started hacking off the paint I had to keep going haha

I've made much more work for myself. I thought fixing the board was the hard bit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back