Rectangular Tile Orientation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bathroom is currently being done and we have square floor tiles, rectangular wall tiles that are quite large and then mosaic for accents.

With regard the wall tiles as they are rectangular should they be hung north south or east west? Also should they be hung like bricks or like 'normal' square tiles.

The tiler is suggesting east west and like bricks but i thought i'd ask the masses. They are a light natural stone type colour.

thanks

Sponsored Links
The tiler is suggesting east west and like bricks

Thats correct if they are large tiles and daft if they were small tiles.

Whats more important is whether you start in the middle of the wall with a joint or middle of tile. This is important because you should aim for any cut tiles at corners to match the layout and to be as wide as possible, rather thin cuts (10mm ish) that look crap.

Landscape is very popular these days, brick effect was very popular a couple of years ago but the phaze has died now and always looked a little naff anyway.

If you want to see currect trends then visit The Hansgrohe, Duravit, Ambience Bain websites, and anything by Phillipe Stark

tiles are 400 X 300 so not small but not massive.

i may have to go for the brick option though as its an olf victorian house and the walls are not square by any means and i can imagine having a nice full tile midway up the wall and then a 15cm infill piece at the top or something, or are there ways to get around that ?

Sponsored Links
Yes that would work, a traditional Bathroom is more likely to look better with a brick effect, although having the brick effect actually means that it is more likely to have smaller cuts against your out of true walls.

thanks for the advice - i am confident the tiler will do a good job.

question on mosaics, the better half wants a strip of mosaic behind the shower mixer, sink and toilet cistern. The strips will be about 7 mosaics wide for the shower as thats the width of the mixer and then about 4 behind the cistern and sink, with these running vertically will that look crap or should be ok?

i do the practical stuff she does the design!

ah great - yes very similar to that, same type of colours also.

what gap is that - 2mm ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back