Red cars

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now I am not sure if this comes under car maintainance or general cars but my wife has a red car and I did say to her that the paint I have seen on some red cars seems to go dull and "white" looking anyway, she went ahead and bought a red Toyota starlet and the red paint seemed fine but now after about a year the bonnet and roof look awful and fading and I am not sure what is the best way to deal with it or is it just a waste of time and red cars are prone to the problem and a cure is either too expensive or not possible.
Thanks for any advice in advance.

Sponsored Links
If the car was new then take it back to the garage where you bought it from. If not, then the only alternative is to T-cut the paint and re-lacquer. Red cars are prone to this kind of fading, as it is difficult to make red paint UV stable. That said however, I've never seen a faded Porsche 911 or Ferrari for that matter, maybe it's because they are probably garaged!

My Nissan is red ... was in company car park all day 5 days a week .. for 4 years .. No fading ... paint is fine.
I do regularly wash and occasional wax ...

Only garaged twixt start of frosts and end of same ... Nov-March ' ish

P

Same thing happened to my old vaux cavalier. Spent an afternoon t cutting and then waxing it and it came out looking like a new car. Paintwork seemed to keep its colour well afterwards though I did wash and wax a little more often :)

Sponsored Links
My wife's Vauxhall Corsa is garaged but has suffered from this problem. In particular after one rain storm when the bonnet and roof were left with faint white drip marks after it had dried. Haven't a clue what would have caused that. I've got the T-cut and polish but haven't got round to doing it yet.

If you buy a red car you're going to get this problem. (Wife wants a Ferrarri next time :D )

when the red paint goes pink that is called blooming,the best thing to do is use g3 compound & a industrial polisher with a foam pad which is then wetted,very similar to t-cut but more agressive but you'll have to seal the paint straight away with an expensive wax such as autoglym or equivilant.
just rember to use masking tape & newspaper to mask wiper blades ,lights etc..
hope this is some help. :)

Many times after rain there is residue from the rain drops ... remember the reddish desert sand ?
We live in very hard water area ... Wash the car with straight tap water .. dries out with whitish spots all over.
Use Turtle wax in warm water, dries out clean, give good tap water rinse and chammy off .. looks PDG !!
I have seen red cars with the 'bloom' have not experienced it with 3 all reds over time Vauxhall, Ford, Nissan.

P

Thanks for your replys, looks like some t-cut and a bit of elbow grease, can't run to anything expensive, not a new car R reg but only 36000 miles.

Just OOI, chocolate can suffer from Bloom too, and goes all pale.....

Just thought you wanted to know that!

If I recall, isn't that because the cocoa butter separates out from the cocoa solids? It is still perfectly safe to eat.

This isn't how I know that, but I do in fact know a guy who has a PhD in chocolate. :confused: He did actually do stuff with the chocolate, it's not just like he sat there eating dairy milk for 3 years. If nothing else it means I got to come up with his hilarious title of Choctor.

I knew of a neighbour, Joe Fry of the chocolate Frys ... who in a shared Maserati beat JM Fangio (DNF) in the British grand Prix of 1950 ... not too long after that, Joe was killed racing at Blandford ..
Freikaiserwagen
P

Sponsored Links
Back