Red screw cap on Pressure relief valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Er, dumb question coming up but here goes..

I have a, what I presume is a PRV, in the loft behind the tank with a red screw cap on top, which itself has a hole like the top of an aerosol.

I assume this is a test cap? Can you just confirm that it should be done up hand tight. It doesn't leek now that I have tightened it. It got loosened, (long story) and promptly leek, but has been cured by hand tightening.

Just checking this is OK as I don't what to blow anything up!

Thanks as always.

Sponsored Links
as dan says sounds like an auto air vent if it is then it needs cleaning as it should be- loose cap no water coming out

For how cheap they are fit a new one. Turn off cold fill to system and bung open vent, then you will be able to snatch it live if you buy a 15mm compression new one ;)

Sponsored Links
"then you will be able to snatch it live if you buy a 15mm compression new one"

Sorry Dave can you explaine further?

Cheers

Dan_Robinson said:
Assuming you have good nerves, the right bits, and quick hands - change the vavle without turning the water off.

Not for everyone....

LMAO

not for those who have not done many times before either methinks

Only suggested it because with everything off and bunged and it being up in the loft, there shouldn't be that much water to come out :oops:

had to tighten it up - at least for now. Hope i don't blow anything up (reassuring words please!)

The Ice cream tub was full and spliing over, letting water through the bathroom ceiling.

Find a plumber time I guess

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back