Redland or Marley roof tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Which are these concrete roof tiles in the attached picture, marley or redland? Need a new one.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Attachments

• 20151211_091938.jpg
    20151211_091938.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 1,577
Sponsored Links
Whichever they are they are laid wrong.
They should be half/broken bond.

Last edited:
Half bonded tiles would have looked better. However, a lot of concrete interlocking tiles are straight nick so it won't be a problem.

Sponsored Links
Flat tiles should be laid in broken bond at all times as heavy/driving rain can flood the interlock causing ingress.

It has nothing to do with aesthetics

Last edited:
Could be an old Redland Mk2 Stonewold, which are no longer made, take one out and look on the back

Thanks, was hoping to avoid two efforts at climbing out of that velux window which has a massive drop in front of it. Looks like two trips needed. Will stock up on the Kendal mint cake. Thanks for all the good contributions.

You may be able to see that the broken tile is in the middle below the recently replaced velux window. To remove it I'll need to peel up the skirt that's around the velux and lift the tile above in order to lift the broken one. Does anyone know if that skirt is flexible enough for me to be able to bend it up and then properly down again? Incidentally the roofer who did that job which entailed relaying all those tiles swears blind that none were cracked when he finished and that it must have been frost that caused it to break. Well not a lot I can do about it but given the amount of frost we've had (none?) I find that hard to accept.

He's talking ****e.

They are very weak when laid incorrectly(being flat)so he's probably fractured one or two when he's stood on them.

Half bonded tiles would have looked better. However, a lot of concrete interlocking tiles are straight nick so it won't be a problem.
Again I agree Nose - my late parent's house has marley moderns in that same layout- fine since 1969 and had me walk over them a few times back in the day - and survived the '87 hurricane here in Sussex.;)

I would say they are Marley moderns probably buy second hand ones cheap...

Thanks Roy. Do you think that skirt around the velux will lift up ok and be able to be flattened back down again?

I don't know what the skirt is made of, it doesn't look like lead. Has the new velux been fitted in an old velux frame? That's what it looks like to me. It might be fibre glass!! If there is no give on the "skirt" you might be able to slide a slate ripper up underneath the broken tile and locate where the lugs are and tap the ripper with a hammer (gently) and see if the lugs break off, If they do then you should be able to pull the broken tile out. You might be able to get a new one back in, if you haven't got enough play to get it in with the lugs on you could knock them off and put some "Sticks like S**t" along each side of the two tiles next to your new one and slide it in to place.. Good Luck...

It's an entirely new velux, frame n'all. I don't what that skirt is made of but will get my parachute on and scramble out there after christmas. Thanks again for the advice.

It's an entirely new velux, frame n'all. I don't what that skirt is made of but will get my parachute on and scramble out there after christmas. Thanks again for the advice.
Why have they fitted it to that horrendous mount? That is a non-standard Velux installation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back