Reduced Hot Water Pressure After Fitting New Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just fitted a new bathroom suite. The hot water pressure was fine before i started. After fitting mixer taps to my sink and bath i have found that the hot water has been reduced to no more than a trickle. I fitted non return valves to both the hot and cold pipes but still no joy. The cold water is mains fed and the hot from a tank. Both the sink and bath are at the same height as before and in the same spot. I just cant work out why it was fine before.

Can anyone give me an idea how to sort the problem?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You have an airlock on your hot water supply but you cant blow it back out easily now you have fitted the non return valves.
Leave your NRV on the cold , take the hot one out, then hold your hand over the spout and throw a towel over for the next step.
Open the hot tap then open the cold thus using the mains pressure to force the air back through the hot water supply

Thanks for the reply.

If i were to remove the non return valves and connect the cold pipe to the hot and switch on the cold for a few seconds would this remove it? Or will i just get another air lock when i connect back again?
What would be the easiest thing to do?

Thanks.

What sort of property house, flat, no of storeys?

Are taps suitable for gravity fed system pressure?

Are they suitable for the difference in pressure between the hot and cold water supplies?

Assume you mean basin rather than sink :)

Sponsored Links
I live in a ground floor flat. Yes i mean basin. Not sure about the taps. I fitted the non return valves thinking that the higher pressure from the cold was pushing the hot back down the pipe. I have also thought about fitting a pump to the hot water pipe but not sure what kind of pump i would need.

Thanks

If you have a single storey flat and the feed cistern serving the hot water is in your flat, then the water pressure available is very limited (possibly about 0.2 bar g). Many modern taps (particularly those from the Continent) will not work or not work well with that kind of pressure.

If the bath tap connections are less than 22mm and the basin less than 15mm then it could be the taps. In which case you need to check it out.

Also if the taps are not bi-flow type you may not be able to run hot water when cold is being run.

The bath has a 22mm connection and the basin a 15mm. I did notice before fitting the non return valves that when you turned on and off the cold water while the hot was running that the hot stoped flowing for a second after the cold had been turned off if that makes any sense.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back