Redundant shaver/light unit on ceiling radial re-use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This may not be conventional but thought I would ask as I wasn't sure if FCU's are always on the same circuit as 13amp sockets.

In the bathroom, there is a (redundant) combined shaving unit/light, fed from the upstairs lighting radial circuit (not a spur, part of the radial).
Can this be down graded into an FCU to power a heated towel rail?
Towel rail is rated at 600W ~ 2.6 Amps, from memory this lighting circuit is protected by 6A or 8A MCB, but would have to check later.

If not, it's ok, would mean removing redundant wire, terminating in an accessible JB. I'd have to then find a way into the 1st floor socket radial, under the dreaded tongue/groove chipboard...

Thanks

Sponsored Links
How lights on the circuit already? What is the estimated total wattage of all the lights on this circuit?

How lights on the circuit already? What is the estimated total wattage of all the lights on this circuit?

6 lights are on the circuit already, plus 1 ceiling fan. Not sure the wattage of the fan, but say each light is 60W (all single pendants) plus 80W for the fan (est) that's 440W plus the rail 600W total 1040W ~ 4.5amps. (Edit - there is also a shaving socket on this circuit in a seperate ensuite -used for toothbrush charging)

I guess mine was more of a question as to whether this is allowable, as well as if the circuit can take it. (safely)

Thanks

Can't see any problem putting the towel rail on it, though you must make sure the switch is out of the way or bath. Switch best outside the bathroom in my opinion. Does an RCD protect this circuit?

Sponsored Links
RCD protection can be provided for the lighting separately at the consumer unit.

under the dreaded tongue/groove chipboard
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=solid+board+cutter[/QUOTE]

I think you have probably advised me of the same in the past,I'll have to consider this, but was never sure on where to start, as you'd need to know which existing 2 sockets are in series next to each other, then board cut a path between them to extend the ring, plus the challenge of boring joists etc, I think I'd need one of these:
http://www.diytools.co.uk/metabo-ri...oduct-Search&gclid=CI-rioiuyrMCFSTLtAod8AUATg

Unless there is a simpler way :(. Thanks though B-A-S

Is there possibly a socket upstairs near an airing cupboard or a fitted wardrobe, so you could run the cable in here into the loft; then down into the bathroom?

Is there possibly a socket upstairs near an airing cupboard or a fitted wardrobe, so you could run the cable in here into the loft; then down into the bathroom?

There is, but that would mean a fused spur rather than extending the final ring; I thought to extend the ring you needed two sockets where you effectively insert another in between them, which is a lot more fiddly.

There is, but that would mean a fused spur rather than extending the final ring; I thought to extend the ring you needed two sockets where you effectively insert another in between them, which is a lot more fiddly.

You could run it as an unfused spur feeding one FCU. If you want to extend the ring then run 2 cables, connecting 1 cable to the existing ring cable, connecting the other cable to the existing socket which remains connected to the other existing ring cable.

All in all, best feed from socket circuit if you can. This will give you RCD protection. See if the near socket is directly on the ring. If so, you can run two cables from it (as described by Owain) to keep the new wiring on the ring. By keeping it all directly on the ring makes future alterations so much easier.

To get the lights on an RCD, you MAY be able to replace the MCB with an RCBO. Or, fit a stand-alone RCD immediately after the fuse or MCB at the mains position.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back