Rees Mogg - Grenfell victims who followed Fire Service advice lacked common sense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
I asked sirgalahad, not you, and according to JohnD you are not allowed to answer questions not directed at you.
I didn't answer your question.

I'm wondering why you asked, is all. Why did you ask whether it was a firefighter or the call handler?

Sponsored Links
I didn't answer your question.

I'm wondering why you asked, is all. Why did you ask whether it was a firefighter or the call handler?
SirGal came out with this statement about the information given to residents of Grenfell.

Fire service are not qualified then.
Firefighters are qualified, but are call handlers? Which was why I asked him who gave the information. Even if it was a firefighter, would they have had all the relevant facts regarding the blaze ? I take it that as a builder you will have qualifications ? If so, if someone spoke to you over the phone saying "A massive crack has just appeared in the wall of my house, is it safe?" Would you give a definitive answer without seeing it ?

Last edited:
Bravo for pinning this on the fire service.

Firefighters are qualified and their advice when they arrived remained the same. Stay Put.

So if they didn't have all the relevant information - you don't think they have protocols for that?

So your advice is to disregard the advice of qualified people and experts as the only way to justify RM comment.

Firefighters are qualified, but are call handlers?
To give advice - yes.

Even if it was a firefighter, would they have had all the relevant facts regarding the blaze ? I take it that as a builder you will have qualifications ? If so, if someone spoke to you over the phone saying "A massive crack has just appeared in the wall of my house, is it safe?" Would you give a definitive answer without seeing it ?
Correct. I would need to see more or have more info'.

However, in the case of emergency response, these people are there to give advice in life or death situations which needs to be acted upon immediately. I would not question the person I was speaking to, rather I'd try and do as they instructed.

To give advice - yes.

Correct. I would need to see more or have more info'.

However, in the case of emergency response, these people are there to give advice in life or death situations which needs to be acted upon immediately. I would not question the person I was speaking to, rather I'd try and do as they instructed.

Experts and experiences rarely have all the data at hand, they make their decision on what is known and then revisit it once more data becomes available. Sensible approach.

RM was talking out of his rear but RWR are falling over backwards to defend him - says all you need to know about them.

Just saw the image I mentioned earlier, twas on the facebook

fire.png

The point I am trying to get across is that the fire service may not have had all the relevant information regarding the state of repair of the building, ie, were all fire doors in working order, firestops in place where needed, the cladding. If they had known all the relevant facts the advice MAY have been different, but they could only give advice on assumed knowledge of the block. Not having the information is NOT the fault of the fire service.

Just saw the image I mentioned earlier, twas on the facebook

Deliberate phasing of the enquiry by the government so they could play the blame game.

I bet they didnt want Chelsea and Westminster council and flaws in building regs to be put in the spotlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back