Refitting a ceiling binder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to temporarily remove a 6ft binder (4x2 inches) that runs at 90 degrees to loft joists, to enable me to double up joists either side of loft hatch.

Any suggestions, please, how to re-fix without causing damage to lath and plaster ceiling?

Sponsored Links
I would position a new one / two, avoiding the new access area, then take the existing one out.
Use big screws, or even coach screws.
However, if it's an old bowed ceiling, trying to fix a straight brace on won't be easy, you might have to use packers, or do some notching.
Maybe it won't need to be there at all if you are going to screw some flooring down.
It sort of depends what the existing is like.

Sponsored Links
I would just cut out the piece of binder that is in the way and then screw down a new bit to cover 2 or 3 joists next to the old one.

Thanks for those replies. I don't anticipate boarding out the loft and, in this instance, will need to replace the whole binder. Fortunately there is little in the way of bowing.

Noseall's suggestion about beefing up the size of the binder struck a chord. At the moment the 4" face of the binder rests on the joists.

What about refitting a new 4" x 4" binder with M10 x 150mm coach screws?

What is the point in upgrading a binder when there has been no issue with it previously?

The doubled up joists will even lessen the work which the binder has to do

Using builders metal banding is another option instead of one or two big screws

What is the point in upgrading a binder when there has been no issue with it previously?

4" x 2"! :eek: i have visions of a sagged bouncy ceiling. prudence woody, prudence. i would still consider something beefier than a 4" X 2" particularly as i was already removing the original.

ok then, turn the original upside down.:cool:

Thanks for that guys - just wanted to double check before doing anything.

By the way, the six-foot binder in question is the only one in the loft! All joists are 4x2 and no sagging!

Before our loft conversion our ceiling was constructed from 3"x1.5" joists with a plaster and lath ceiling. They spanned 4.2m and had one ceiling binder, again a 3"x1.5" timber laid flat. No sagging ceilings or cracks in plaster, and we had one hell of a lot of stuff/junk up there too.

No doubt they didn't meet present day minimum section sizes but they had been there for a very long time without any trouble!

What is the point in upgrading a binder ...

Using builders metal banding is another option instead of one or two big screws

This intrigues me. I'm drawing up plans to upgrade a binder myself. I take it this banding will be used as a "sling" under the joists. If so, would you care to give an example of th etype of banding that might be suitable?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back