Refurbishing Parquet Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've discovered that we have parquet flooring throughout the downstairs of our 1970's house (apart from where previous owners tiled over it!). I've been considering options around restoring/refurbishing the floor rather than re-covering it as I would really like to have it on show.

I have a few questions about the floor and how best to finish it off.

1. Can anybody tell me what type of wood the floor is likely to be (see pic)?

2. As you can see, the floor is rather dark and this is one of my concerns, I want it to be a lot lighter when finished. I've tried sanding quickly and it does come up a lot nicer, what is the best finish to retain this colour and make the floor as hard wearing as possible, with minimal maintenance?

3. Is it OK to use a hand-held belt sander (continual belt) and orbital sander (for edges) to do the job myself? What grits should I be using? (quick sand I did was with 240).

4. With regards to the gaps in between blocks, I thought of using PVA mixed with the dust, is this OK?

5. Finally, I don't want the cork edging to be on show. What options are there to cover this up and finish the rooms off?

Many thanks in advance for the advice :D

Sponsored Links
Any natural finish you apply to this 5-finger mosaic floor will bring out the natural character of the tropical species. IMHO it would be a shame to lighten it with a stain - then you also don't have an original feature in your home.
When you sand it bare, it will indeed look a bit lighter but then the wood starts to mature again, bringing out its natural - beautiful - character.

Always use a proper wood-filler, not PVA glue

For the edges you can use flat beading, stained appropriately

Thanks for the advice.

I didn't know what type of wood this is or if it was stained which is why I sanded a small area in my office. You mention tropical wood, what sort of species do you think it is?

It does need to be sanded, filled and finished as it's been stuck under carpet for the past 20+ years and has ground in dirt etc in many places.

What would be the best product to use to finish the floor with which will give a nice shine and also be durable to kids and animals?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back