Refurb's Glow worm swap out for a non-functioning Vokera

P

PeterPots

Hi, the old Vokera boiler in our holiday cottage has finally given in so it's time to replace it. I was hoping to have the Glow worm came out of my flat fitted to it but the fitter has asked me to bring various things with me.
He assured me that he has all the gas/water fittings but he does not carry flue parts. As there is an 8hr drive and an hour on a ferry i'm keen to get this all done when i am there next (2 weeks time) as we plan to stay for a week.
The flue in the cottage is vertical, probably around 5 ft long. The Glow Worm was fitted with a horizontal flue. Are they the same size? If so can i just buy a vertical adaptor for the Glow worm and bob's my uncle? Sounds to easy to me. I've spoken to my local supplier and they are happy to give me sale or return for various flue parts but I'd like to narrow it down before I head up north.
Any assistance greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Peter

Sponsored Links
Simply put, you cannot use a Vokera flue on a Gloworm boiler. I know of no such "adaptors". Your boiler should be fitted with a proper Gloworm flue, but I suspect you already knew that, and so should your installer.

Thanks, i thought as much. Now racking my brain to remember what the flue configuration was! Thanks again .
Peter

Don't get involved with messing about with old boilers.
Put a new boiler in there and have done with it.

I personally won't have anything to do with installing second hand equipment.

Sponsored Links
If you can afford a holiday cottage then you should do the job properly!

That includes fitting a condensing boiler and appropriate new flue parts.

There are safety aspects to this!

Is this Isle of Wight, Man, Skye, Orkney, Shetland, Gigha or Oronsay?

Tony

The boiler will be fitted properly with the appropriate flue parts, there was never any doubt. I had the glow worm taken out of my flat last year as I was upgrading to a condensing boiler. There was nothing wrong with it in particular I just thought it was struggling to heat the flat after it was open plan'd. Why would I not use it?
The holiday cottage hardly gets used so spending £1-2K on it seems a but silly to me when i can utilise what I already have. You may have money to throw away but I certainly don't
Why would you care where my cottage is? None of your business is the simple reply.

8 hours from Brum, an hour on the ferry, and an island with mains gas?

None of our business, true. But, there's no need for other replies to be rude or offensive.

There are legal issues here, concerning the fitting of secondhand equipment, using non-standard parts, and installing a non-condensing boiler. Any RGI has to obey the law, and moving an old boiler can louse it up.

There's no law against fitting second hand equipment , a qualified/registered fitter will be fitting the boiler, the non-standard equipment issue was not an issue.
There is no law breaking and how have i been rude ? I merely answered the unhelpful reply in the tone it was given.
There's a high horse with a sore back that you should dismount.

peter you say that the glowworm was taken out to upgrade to a condensing boiler.if the glowworm is not condensing how can it comply with current requirements to fit condensing boilers or have i read the above incorrectly

No, Peter, I didn't mean you were rude, far from it, it was some of the other replies, as I said.

There are regs about fitting secondhand boilers, and their associated flues, and about condensing boilers, all of which an RGI has to follow. I didn't say you couldn't do what you want, just that regs have to be followed.

There was nothing wrong with it in particular I just thought it was struggling to heat the flat after it was open plan'd. Why would I not use it?

The holiday cottage hardly gets used so spending £1-2K on it seems a but silly to me when i can utilise what I already have.

Peter, quite simply all boilers installed after 2005 have to be condensing boilers under the building regulations.

Even if you plan to flout the building regulations, its most unlikely that you would find a vertical flue.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back