regenerating wooden window sills

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Some window sills in my (new) house seem to be varnished, and some others seem to never have been. These un-varnished have often lost the natural colour (probably UV rays and other factors).

Rather than varnishing the de-coloured window sills, I thought that maybe applying some Danish oil would rejuvenate them (and give me back some colour); and then I could either apply an oil-based varnish, or wax, or just keep using Danish oil for upkeep.

What would be your thoughts/recommendations?

Many thanks,
Olie

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
pertinent questions - thank you :)

It's the interior window sills I was referring to. On the exterior window sill there is PVC.

The wood is rather dark. I don't think it's walnut though. Could it have been oak, or mahogany?
(The house is in Scotland. I could upload photos if that helps)
The one in the kitchen is the one that lost the most colour. Doesn't look as it's ever been varnished. It could be oak, and it has a few stains. I was hoping the oil application would be able to give it a second life. The varnished ones upstairs look more like mahogany (darker) colours and aren't discoloured. I guess I should apply the same kind of varnish: water-based most likely, correct?

ta

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back