Registering as a competent person but am not a contractor

... If you own home or have friends/relatives with domestic properties? This work can be carried out there, the work will require notifying, so there will be that fee to consider.
Is that not the OP's problem? As you say, he is going to have to notify, and pay notification fees, at least once in order to get registered, and then he has to pay all the (direct and indirect) costs of notification.
On my first assessment, I did a consumer unit swap, I informed the client I would like to use this as my site visit. They agreed to pay for notification fees and materials, my labour was free.
Given that, as has been said, most/all of the work he wants to do could be done under a single notification, I'm far from convinced that the 'getting registered' route would be cost-effective for him. Even if he had to pay for two or three notifications, that might still be less expense than the registration route.
What we want is not always what we get, if he is operating as a domestic electrician there is going to be occasions that all that needs notifying is electrical work. Plus as a business it is always good to be able to advertise that you operate in away that notification can be made by you and that with that notification a 5 year warranty is attached. I don't think building controls other an automatic five year warranty.
If the OP is serious about wanting to become a scheme member, he needs to abide by there specification. But it is worth looking around as not all ask for the same.

The above comments are based on one assumption - do I take it that ELECSA will only accept job(s) involving notifiable work as the job(s) they inspect?
The document below seems to suggest that the work assessed, is that of the type that is deemed notifiable. That is why it is worth the OP calling them.
This document would be useful for those interested.
http://www.elecsa.co.uk/Documents/Public-Documents/Contractors/ELECSA-Part-P-Guide-(Web)-06-15.aspx

Sponsored Links
On my first assessment, I did a consumer unit swap, I informed the client I would like to use this as my site visit. They agreed to pay for notification fees and materials, my labour was free.
Fair enough, but if you waived your labour charges, you were effectively at least partially paying the notification fee!
... if he is operating as a domestic electrician there is going to be occasions that all that needs notifying is electrical work. ... Plus as a business it is always good to be able to advertise that ...
I was talking about him making one single application for all the electrical work required on his new house. My understanding is that the OP does not intend to become a "domestic electrician" but merely wants to avoid notification fees on work he does on his new house. All I was saying is that becoming a scheme member just for that might well not be cost-effective.

Kind Regards, John

Fair enough, but if you waived your labour charges, you were effectively at least partially paying the notification fee!
That is true but I was also securing a property to be visited by waving the labour charge and it worked for me, and it also got me repeated work that I did get my services paid for.

My understanding is that the OP does not intend to become a "domestic electrician" but merely wants to avoid notification fees on work he does on his new house. All I was saying is that becoming a scheme member just for that might well not be cost-effective.
Okay the opening post did not really give me that impression! If that is the case it most probably would be a lesser financial commitment to go down the building control application fees then. This would depend on the fees the BC ask for though, but even the less costly scheme providers like Stroma, it is going to cost £288.00 plus PLI at least and half a day of work! The other costs regarding publications and calibrated test equipment, I would assume are unavoidable, unless you can barrow these.

Okay the opening post did not really give me that impression! If that is the case it most probably would be a lesser financial commitment to go down the building control application fees then.
Indeed - my point has been that such would probably be the case. Post #4 in this thread gives a clearer picture of the OP's position.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Indeed - my point has been that such would probably be the case. Post #4 in this thread gives a clearer picture of the OP's position.
Yes post #4 does shed a little more light on what the OP's initial intentions, but does not completely rule out other work!
In this case the OP's options a a little limited if they wish to abide by the legal requirements.
They either apply for notification, join a CPS or go down the third party route.

I simply want to be able to self certify my own work in my own home should I wish to carry out notifiable works. I don't intend to earn money by going it alone and setting up an electrical business but it would be nice to be able to work in my own home and those of my family without having to pay to notify each time or pay for somebody else to do the work.

This is where I feel the system falls down as they have made it practically impossible for me to register as a competent person in these circumstances (not working for a contractor or having my own company) when I'm probably more competent and qualified than a proportion of electricians who are in the register at this moment in time.

I have decided to bite the bullet and notify the works as suggested as a whole job once I finally move in and begin the works. I think for the time being (as a few of you knowledgable guys have said) it will be cheaper for me just to do that and to knock on the head any notion of being able to work elsewhere as and when needed as well.

Yes post #4 does shed a little more light on what the OP's initial intentions, but does not completely rule out other work!
It doesn't, but the OP has yet to mention any work other than his own new house.
In this case the OP's options a a little limited if they wish to abide by the legal requirements. They either apply for notification, join a CPS or go down the third party route.
Indeed - and the OP was hoping that the second would be cheaper than the first, and maybe even the third, and what he has said suggests that he hasn't even considered the fourth,'non-legal', option. I still suspect that CPS registration would not be cost-effective if we were only talking of work on his own house, but it obviously could become cost-effective if he decided to take on work for others.

Do the schemes require one to have insurance, as well as reference books, calibrated test equipment, etc.?

Kind Regards, John

I forgot to mention that I have my own annually calibrated equipment and documentation also.

I have not considered the fourth non legal option as I dont really want to do that..

This is where I feel the system falls down as they have made it practically impossible for me to register as a competent person in these circumstances (not working for a contractor or having my own company)
Anyone can register, whether they are a company of thousands or an individual.
However if you are not intending to do notifiable works on a regular basis, it simply isn't financially viable.

Do the schemes require one to have insurance, as well as reference books, calibrated test equipment, etc.?
They do require the above, your library must consist of the current edition of BS7671 plus any amendments, up to date version of Part P Approved doc, memorandom of guidance to
health and safety at work , £2 million of PLI and all test equipment to be calibrated. They do require other things such a complaints log, contract templates, quote templates, evidence of risk assessments, health and safety policy and at least the 17th edition qual.

This is where I feel the system falls down as they have made it practically impossible for me to register as a competent person in these circumstances (not working for a contractor or having my own company)
Anyone can register, whether they are a company of thousands or an individual.
Flameport is correct, My first registration was made when I was employed by a company not associated with electrical work (commercial or domestic), nor did I own my own business at that time. I was not refused membership or denied the use of the scheme benefits.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back