Registration plates unreadable to Automatic number plate recognition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend of mine has done something to his registration plates so that automatic number plate recognition cameras can't see it, he won't say what he has done and the registration is just normal???

Sponsored Links
Good luck to him. If the plate can be read by the human eye then the latest generation of ANPR cameras will read it.
Not only will they read the plate they may detect an attempt to make it un-readable and flag that up. So a modified plate may be detected and reported. That could then result in a fixed penalty being issued for a non compliant number plate even if there is no other offence being committed.

As bernardgreen states, most modern kit will read them better than the human eye. Also, if your friends plate cannot be read by ANPR, that is an offence in itself and a very easy nick for the traffic cop that spots it. But good luck to him if he gets away with it.

Sponsored Links
There has been 'foolproof' anti read treatments for plates ever since the first Gatso camera.......what's the betting that this is no different?
John :)

I've seen it on a police program on TV, camera couldn't make out number plate, owner got fined.

Farmers have known - like, forever ! A good wash of wet cow dung across front and rear of the Landrover camouflages the number plate, 'I' bar bumper replacement sorts the parking ****s. :evil:

I see quite a few tow bars fitted so they obscure the middle of the rear number plate, the addition of a bumper guard makes them even worse. I'm pretty sure mr policeman will not be too happy with them either.

Why not go high-tech and fit a James Bond revolving number plate with foreign-type numbers?:D

My old MK1 chrome bumper Carlton used to have a towbar in the middle of the plate, the plate itself was fixed to the middle of the bumper. Either side of the plate were big, chunky rubber overiders. Because of the overiders, any camera would have had to be directly behind the car to get the plate. Any camera at an angle, ie. at side of road would have missed the beginning or end of the plate. Even directly behind, the towbar may have partially obscured some digits.

Shame she rusted away a few years ago. :(

I see quite a few tow bars fitted so they obscure the middle of the rear number plate, the addition of a bumper guard makes them even worse. I'm pretty sure mr policeman will not be too happy with them either.

I think that is now an MOT failure!

Sponsored Links
Back