regularisation-whats involved?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, well the long and short of it is that I recently bough a house that I knew had a small conversion of part garage into a utility. I was supplied with an indemnity policy which is probably just about useless.

I like to do things right and am thinking of paying for a regularisation certificate. I think...... But does anyone know what would be involved in the actual inspection. It was done approx 12 years ago ish and how can anyone say if the work came up the the then building regs? I really dont know what to do. My neighbours have had same extension and they never had permission either. As far as I know there have not been any problems but once i have told council they will know kind of thing and need to know what would be involved in the actual inspection

Sponsored Links
So long as it doesn't appear dangerous in any way, do nothing. Nobody has complained about it and the neighbour has done the same.

You will open a can of worms and cause more grief by reporting it.

+1 absolutely.
You will regret it if you apply for a regularization cert after this time.

They can make you rip it apart to prove how it was done, very destructive. just keep quiet and enjoy

Sponsored Links
hmmm......consensus seems to be keep schtum and not say a word!!! i hate not doing things right but really dont to have to rip my house apart for the sake of a piece of paper

hmmm......consensus seems to be keep schtum and not say a word!!! i hate not doing things right but really dont to have to rip my house apart for the sake of a piece of paper

you need to redefine your definition of right, perhaps. you seem to be approaching it from the viewpoint "everything the government demands is RIGHT"

if you toss in fairness and justice that concept starts to look far fetched

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back