Regularisation Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering if anyone can help me?

My wife and I renovated a house a couple of years ago. It's a terraced house and had two outbuildings and an outside toilet to the rear. We got a builder in and knocked through from the kitchen into the outbuildings, creating a larger kitchen, then knocked a doorway through into the outside toilet at the end to create access from the kitchen. The three outside doorways were then built up. He put an RSJ in where he knocked through the kitchen, and a concrete lintel in above the new toilet door as there was barely any weight above it. The walls were then dry-lined and the roof space filled with insulation.

We never got building regs however, and now we are selling the property. The buyer has asked for a Regularisation certificate. Our solicitor has advised against this as if anything wasn't done to building regs then we would have to do the work over again. We will gladly provide an indemnity but we don't think the buyer will accept this.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Ideally I'd like to know what exactly they would look at for the sign off, as I know building regs doesn't just mean structural, it also covers insulation/ventilation etc.

Hope someone can help!

Sponsored Links
We never got building regs however,
In the name of all that is sensible, why?

The buyer has asked for a Regularisation certificate. Our solicitor has advised against this as if anything wasn't done to building regs then we would have to do the work over again.
He's probably right. And for a regularisation certificate most councils charge at least double what an application done in advance would have cost. Then there's the cost of putting right any damage where they open things up to inspect the structure.

We will gladly provide an indemnity but we don't think the buyer will accept this.
So is he - such policies don't cover the costs of him having to put anything right, only legal costs if the council decide to serve an enforcement notice. How likely is that?

Has anyone had a similar experience? Ideally I'd like to know what exactly they would look at for the sign off, as I know building regs doesn't just mean structural, it also covers insulation/ventilation etc.
Sell the house as is, with the price adjusted to reflect its condition and Building Regs status.

You will need to demonstrate that the works comply with the building regulations in force at the time the works were done. If it was only a few years ago that effectively means the current regs. To do that you may need to open up some of the works for inspection. Once you start down that road you are really committed. You CANNOT get half way and bail out and get an indemnity policy if it starts getting difficult - nobody will give you one at that stage. In fact, nobody will give you one even if you simply contact the local authority and ask questions about it. So don't even do that until you are sure you want to regularise. My experience is that most people are happy with an indemnity policy as long as the works aren't too extensive and are finished to a decent standard. But it will obviously put one or two off.

Your buyers either want the house, or they don't. You're either in a hurry to sell or you aren't. If you want to sell to these guys, buy the policy and negotiate on the price. If you want to sell to someone else, send them packing

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back