Regularisation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone gone through building regs regularisation? I understood that this is how you can retrospectively achieve building regs.

I have converted a detached garage into a habitable space and am contemplating going through this.

I’d appreciate any insight you can share on this.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
The problem is proof of how it's built.

It's likely establishing the construction methods, materials used etc would require invasive stripping of the various elements.

Do you believe it is compliant?

It's all down to the inspector. Some want an easy life, some what to give you a hard life.

If it looks like it's been done properly then the inspector takes it that it has, but fire safety tends to be the main thing to watch for.

Is it actually habitable space? I think there are many things you can do to a detached garage without tripping over the line. Hobby rooms, art studios etc I think would all be OK. If there's a bathroom and bedroom not!

Sponsored Links
Is it actually habitable space? I think there are many things you can do to a detached garage without tripping over the line. Hobby rooms, art studios etc I think would all be OK. If there's a bathroom and bedroom not!

His brothers living in it.
Full gambit.

Thanks for all the responses.

Do you believe it is compliant?
Almost certainly not. I recall the builder using battens and some loft insulation before it was boarded up. I am prepared to reinsulate this if that's what they recommend. It's an acceptable price to have this formalised.

My main concern is whether the inspector will just focus on the above or is he/she going to be asking questions about how and why I have been using it for and whether I should have planning permission, etc.

What are the personal ramifications to you and your brother if you do absolutely nothing- what is worrying you most? I ask because this has gone on for years without problems; planners have said they are not interested; and no-one (I think) has complained. There seems to be 2 issues: council tax liability and BR compliance. You COULD, just do nothing unless and until you need to.

At what point, if ever, does this become a legal dwelling that could have its own address and be sold?
I'm thinking of ̶l̶o̶c̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ moving the mother-in-law into my garage for a few years.

IMG_20210430_103003078.jpg

What are the personal ramifications to you and your brother if you do absolutely nothing- what is worrying you most? I ask because this has gone on for years without problems; planners have said they are not interested; and no-one (I think) has complained. There seems to be 2 issues: council tax liability and BR compliance. You COULD, just do nothing unless and until you need to.

what concerns me most is that if my brother was ever unwell and ambulance had to attend, would they be freaked out by him living in a garage. Also if it’s kosher than I could rent it out in the future too.

Ive never heard tell of paramedics doubling as building inspectors.

But if you are concerned that the conditions in which your brother is living are so dire that they would freak paramedices out I suggest you have more pressing matters to address than building regs approval.

I don’t think the conditions are dire and to the contrary, I think it’s a very pleasant environment. I also recognise that it is short of building regs standards as it will definitely require additional insulation. I am prepared for that.

Just concerned that by applying for regularisation, is the building inspector going to reject it out of hand for some reason.

I don’t think the conditions are dire and to the contrary, I think it’s a very pleasant environment. I also recognise that it is short of building regs standards as it will definitely require additional insulation. I am prepared for that.
Nothing to stop you bringing the building up to spec though.

Just concerned that by applying for regularisation, is the building inspector going to reject it out of hand for some reason.
Just remember the old saying - it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. If you apply for regularisation and its denied youre hosed. If you do nothing then eventually the enforcement time limit kicks in.

I am in the process of turning my detached garage into a granny annex , firstly I had to have planning permission for a change of use. it will have a stipulation that only immediate family can live there. also you will have to use the services from the main dwelling.
then there are the current building regs. electrical cert, insulation required, suspended timber floor 100mm cellotex, walls 60 mm dot and dabbed cellotex, ceilings 100 mm between joists crossed with 60 mm of thermoboard, heating source, doors and windows argon filled, trickle vents .
smoke and heat alarms etc.
there will Never be a time when you can legally rent this property out. the person who lives there will be down on the main house electoral register.

I also think that the roof would not comply to habitable building control standards.

The roof covering would be fine, the insulation would have to be a minimum standard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back