Regularisation

I am in the process of turning my detached garage into a granny annex , firstly I had to have planning permission for a change of use. it will have a stipulation that only immediate family can live there. also you will have to use the services from the main dwelling.
then there are the current building regs. electrical cert, insulation required, suspended timber floor 100mm cellotex, walls 60 mm dot and dabbed cellotex, ceilings 100 mm between joists crossed with 60 mm of thermoboard, heating source, doors and windows argon filled, trickle vents .
smoke and heat alarms etc.
there will Never be a time when you can legally rent this property out. the person who lives there will be down on the main house electoral register.

This is very helpful. In my situation, because it has been used in it's current state for around 6 years, I understand that I could apply for a Lawful Development Certificate. This removes the need for any planning permission. Secondly, I have also read from input I have had on this Forum that Building Regs also has a limited term of prosecution. I should now be squarely outside this. Despite this, I want to ensure that the building standards are high and safe.
Also, if it can be used by the family, why can it not be used as a Lodger in the future?
Thanks again.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back