Regulations regarding ventilation behind kitchen sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I am rearranging my kitchen to make the most of a small space. My kitchen sink is currently against an external wall but i would lilke to move it to the opposite wall which is external to the flat but not to the building. Idealy i would like to replace the air brick with actual bricks as the sink will no longer be on that wall and it is producing a huge draft and during the winter the kitchen gets so cold i worry about pipes freezing. i need to know if there are any regulations preventing me from doing this and if so what other options i have.

The building is a flat, 1 of 4 with a communal corridor along the full length of my flat, buillt in 1902 to give you an idea of its design. On the external wall about 1 foot above floor level is an air brick that has been behind the kitchen sink unit. I have air bricks under the sub floor round the external walls to provide ventiillation to the building so i am not sure what the purpose of this higher up vent is.

My question is.. is ventillation required behind a kitchen sinc? If so does the ventillation need to be on an external wall, i hope to have the sink against an internal wall backing on the communal corridor for the 4 flats.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
There are no reg's that specifically ask for ventilation behind the kitchen sink.

However, as long ago as the Victorian times builders have been aware of the problems associated with condensation and the need to ventilate.

The use of air bricks in buildings has largely been abandoned in favour of less draughty, warmer 'passive' ventilation and mechanical ventilation.

Its a shame because buildings are warmer but less healthy.

Thanks for that. I think I will I will lose the vent because as it stands I get a rediculous ammount of condensation from the cold coming in anyway.

you need to check for gas appliances in that and ajacent rooms that may be relying on those vents

Sponsored Links
I think I will I will lose the vent because as it stands I get a rediculous ammount of condensation from the cold coming in anyway.
It’s not cold drafts that are causing your condensation problem, its excess moisture from cooking. If you block up the vent without providing some other form of escape for moisture caused by cooking/washing etc, your condensation problem is likely to get considerably worse rather than better.

You should fit an extractor fan if you don’t already have one, ideally incorporated in a cooker hood. Although not mandatory in refits, provision of an extract fan is a Building Regs. a requirement in new kitchens/utilities/bathrooms.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back