Rehau vertical sliding sash - fixing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

First post here, and looking for some reassurance re. new vertical sash windows

The 'channel' that the bottom sash sits in gets water in (I think from rain splashing on the sill). It does seem to drain towards the outside, through the little weep holes.

But my concern is that there are screws through the bottom of that channel (please see photo attached). That didn't feel right to me.. but the installer said otherwise.

I would just like some expert here to put my mind at rest. Does this look right to you? Not sure if any Rehau reps read this

Did post this on a general building forum but this seems like a better home for it

Thank you!

Attachments

• window.jpg
    window.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 225
Sponsored Links
Two rules when fitting windows.

1) Never screw down.
2) Never screw up especially on the outer leaf, use cleats.

Your window is now compromised around that screw.

Two rules when fitting windows.

1) Never screw down.
2) Never screw up especially on the outer leaf, use cleats.

Your window is now compromised around that screw.

A little bit harsh their Bonni. I would only go as far as saying no up/down fixings where reasonably possible.
Sometimes you need a direct fix to eliminate a bow in the frame (straps just wont do it) had it myself today with a sliding sash bay window.
Standard windows are fixed down all the time (frame to cill).

Any fitter worth his salt would silicone the hole before finalizing the fixing position.

Water will build up until it finds an exit as long as its not getting inside the house all is good. The window is designed to take water in that channel.

I would be annoyed about all the mess/dirt and the unfinished sealing inside, Whats with the bare wood to the right.

Thanks guys. Not what I wanted to hear but not unexpected! I'm not too worried as the water does not seem to penetrate around the screw hole, and the weep vents are certainly working

Wonder if there's a 'silicone cap' type thing I can get, like you see in shower enclosures, to go over the screws?

If any expert is in London and feels like giving them a once over then I'll pay for a 2nd opinion

Sponsored Links
If it really really bothers you remove the screw and pump some clear silicone into the hole or fit a small rubber O ring on the screw and refit, don't tighten fully though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back