Reinforcing a brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I posted a few days ago about a small 45 degrees crack in the inside wall of a small bedroom (the external wall seems OK). Unfortunately while removing the rest of the wall paper I realized that the crack extends more than one meter through the old cement which is quite soft and the bricks in that area look a bit loose.My first though was to re-plaster the whole wall but as the wall looks weak someone suggested to remove the old plaster and to screw some plywood or MDF sheets along the whole wall to increase its resistance and them skim over. I have seen in B&Q some 18mm plywood which I think can to the trick better than MDF although I want to make sure I do not break any building regulation. Anyone has got any advice?

Sponsored Links
Anyone has got any advice?

Yes, ignore whoever said to screw ply to the wall :rolleyes:

First you need to find out if the cracking is progressive, or if it has now stopped - ie find the cause

Then either repair with some helical bar joint reinforcement, or just plaster.

Mesh across the cracks will prevent future plaster cracks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back