Reinforcing a wood garage door against thieves.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our up-and-over garage door is made of wood but is pretty heavy and good quality. I have reinforced the top of the frame with steel and fitted a strong bolt to prevent the top from being pushed in, while the bottom corners have bolts that butt against the frame to prevent the bottom from being pulled outwards. I reckon now that trying to break the frame would need a vehicle and would make a lot of noise so my next concern is to make it harder to smash though the actual panels, which are only plywood.

The best and lightest way I can think of would be to get two alloy plates cut and glue and screw them to the insides of the panels so as to form a solid additional layer with the plywood.

What glue would you recommend? I'm thinking some kind of epoxy that will set by chemical action since a water-based glue won't dry and could warp the door. Alternatively a second layer of ply, perhaps marine grade, screwed and glued with PVA would give additional strength and slow down a thief.

Sponsored Links
Just a thought as its an up and over door, mate - they are designed to work only with their specified weight so don't overdo the add on material.....alloy plates could be best but of course the toe rag wouldn't know they were there until they had had a go to get in.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Builder here on site has suggested a sheet of alloy screwed to the inner framework, not glued to the panels because scrotes could still kick the entire panel out. The alloy sheet attached to the inner framework would reinforce the entire door and the latches and form a secondary barrier if they succeeded in kicking through a panel.

If I filled the space between the panel and the inner alloy layer with expanding foam it would give even greater strength and some insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back