Reinforcing hanging tiles and putting them back

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear DIYNot forums members,

The recent hurricane has blown some hanging tiles away from the side of my house and I would like to put them back in a way that will be more secure (the tiles have damaged cars parked on the drive).

upload_2022-2-21_14-58-54.png

Would it be a good idea to secure the tiles with the No More Nails, so that they don't move about in the wind as much?

One of the tiles has landed on the car so safely that it is still intact. Does anyone happen to know the make/model of it by any chance?

upload_2022-2-21_14-59-56.png

I would greatly appreciate any advice on possible reinforcement/repair options! Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Thank you @blup. The buildings insurance excess is £500. As the tile came off clean, it wasn't nailed originally, correct? If I simply do the replacement of the tile my repair cost will be equal to the cost of the spare tile (as the first one is still in one piece!). I already have the special ladder attachment that distributes the weight, as I did some guttering work earlier this year.
The minimal repair to bring the slates to their original state would be very cheap.

However! My question is: can I also make them more resilient by somehow using CT1 mastic to keep them from flapping in the wind?
Or is my only other option to take them all off and nail more of the rows in?

Last edited:
You are correct all the tiles should have been nailed.
These were not .
It's not safe to
simply stick them in. It's not a major job to strip down from the top and then tile it back . Nailing every thing as you go .
Tiles maybe dreadnaught

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Considering that there are tubes of adhesive that stick brick slips, panels and other stuff to walls externally, there is no reason why such an adhesive would not work on two tiles to supplement the nibs.

Thank you for all the answers!

I will at least get a quote for getting everything nailed down and at worst will try the adhesive. Would anyone be able to recomment any brands for such a job?

I would nail them down, but I don't know how to remove the tiles from the top - they appear to be covered by a side of the roof:
upload_2022-2-25_15-7-42.png

Does this mean that I won't be able to get behind this white beam to remove the top row?

I can't see from that picture but if you can get the top tile off then you are in business! otherwise ct 1 hippo3 geocell 201

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back