Reinstatement of roof support

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks,

Im about to buy a victorian terrace house with a gable to gable roof. The previous owner decided to remove the perlins and struts and make a non BC approved loft room!

The Ashlar walls are supported by two 8x2 timer beams which have been calculated to be about a quarter of the strength required! As a result of the lack of support and the additional loads imposed, the ridge has sagged.

I will obviously consult with BC about how to remedy the situation, but I hoped to get the opinion of you great folk.

PLEASE SEE ATTACHED PHOTO

A, B & C don't current exist!

Would A & B work, or is C absolutely necessary. I ask because I saw a roof recently that was with A & B!

Thoughts much appreciated

Attachments

• 44C4CADF-722C-4A86-95C6-CAA5EAE9D18B_1_201_a copy.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 99
Sponsored Links
If the ceiling joists run in the direction shown on your image AND the purlins have been removed, what the fudge is preventing the roof from (spread) collapsing?

Well, I guess the ridge is resting in the gable walls and some, albeit not enough support is given by two ashlar walls resting on two a pair of 2x (8x2) beams bolted together.

Its not great and I eager to reinstate support the day I get the keys! Just hope the roof doesn't fall on my head whilst im up there.

See photo attached. you can see the sag!

Attachments

• 9BCA408D-5A88-40F0-BBB3-22BE5921E447.jpeg
    9BCA408D-5A88-40F0-BBB3-22BE5921E447.jpeg
    228.1 KB · Views: 69
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back