Reinstating an open fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I hope someone can help me please.
The previous owners to our house moved the kitchen into the dining room, which we have now moved back to the original position. As we have done this we now have a gap where the old fireplace was (oven was in this position) however I am not sure how low to drop the lintel down to. Also the bricks at the back of the fireplace are really naff. We do want to use the fireplace again, with an open fire basket in the opening. The dims of the opening are: 900mm wide x 400mm deep.

Any assistance would be gratefully received!

Thanks, Martin
[/url]

Sponsored Links
Firstly remove the naff bricks, assuming they are not part of the chimney structure and clean back the opening to see what you have.

Then simply tooth out a couple of bricks to make room, insert your new lintel at your chosen height and brick up the remaining gap between it and the old one. this is assuming it will be plastered over again.

Then get a chimney sweep round to clean and inspect the flue and you should be ready to go. He can also give you some advise on any work that might need doing.

As for refinishing the opening back and sides there are various options depending on your desired look. You can simply leave it bare brick assuming that you are not going to be using it every day and can have the grate a few inches away on all sides from the bricks. Or you can line the opening with firebricks or firebrick slips, or you can get heat resistant vermiculite boards or go the whole hog and buy a full fireback and then a nice surround to go over it.

For an open fire to draw properly and work efficiently the fireplace and gather have to be built correctly to the right dimennsions. There is a science to fireplace and chimney contruction.

Sponsored Links
And the smoke police - in a smokeless zone :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back