Reinstating Coal Fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Originally my house had open coal fires. This is the void behind where a later gas fire was installed.
I want to re-install an open fire once again.
What do I need exactly?
Cheers

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    93.7 KB · Views: 178
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    75.6 KB · Views: 173
Sponsored Links
Why not read Similar Threads below and on the search button? There's lots of similar subject recent threads.
Clear photos showing detail and a whole pic of the chimney breast would help.

Why not read Similar Threads below and on the search button? There's lots of similar subject recent threads.
Clear photos showing detail and a whole pic of the chimney breast would help.

Problem is, when anyone searches the forum these days, all they turn up is threads of you telling 'em to search the forum :D

So, you know when you're trotting out this advice do you, like, search for one of your previous posts so you can copy paste it, or do you go to the efforts of giving each and every person some targeted help about using the search function?

Sponsored Links
Relax! You're scaring the new people. Regulars know how useful diynot life lessons are, but new people might take them the wrong way..:rolleyes:

Do I assume you intend to reinstate an open fire, so as to actually use it. Are you aware that they are only about 15% efficient, and that it sucks in cold air, and then sends it up the chimney. You're warm in front of the fire, but you've got a cold draught behind you. Think about a coal stove instead.

Doggit makes a great point: there is very little actually attractive about an open coal fire when you take the dirt, smell and intensity of care into account along with the chimney being a constant source of heat drain when the fire isn't lit, and a constant source of pollution that neighbours hanging out washing won't thank you for when it is lit

Sure, there's a romantic aspect to it that tugs at the caveman heartstrings in most of us, but getting a some kind of log burner that is room sealed, so it gets its air from outside, burns and puts its combustion products up a flue, is going to be better all round..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back