Rejuvinating Wooden Kitchen Work Tops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am a newby to this forum but looking for some advice on our kitchen work tops. We have not long moved in to the property and they are as they show (hopefully) in the pictures below. The first one is heavily damaged, being next to the sink it has soaked up a lot of water it would seem. The second only has some slight discolouration to the area. And the 3rd is what it should look like...What would be the best way to get them looking good again? I was thinking of giving a light sanding and then using some teak oil or something? I have seen some you can buy wilko etc which is a clear oil. Will that be enough to brush in and let it soak in and it will pick the colour back up, or will I need colour specific oil?
Any advice is greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
I'm in the process of re oiling my worktop.
Yes sand first, I used 120 grit sandpaper to remove the dark stains then finished with 240 grit. Cleaned the worktop with white spirit, then used Ronseal worktop oil. It has come up brilliantly.

I believe most professionals use Tung oil but I always prefer worktop oil.
Using teak oil I doubt you would get the heat protection you require in the kitchen.

foxhole,
Whats the difference between Osmo Top oil and ronseal worktop oil?

Sponsored Links
Brilliant, thanks for your replies, will get sanding and then have a look at which oil to use :) :)

P.S. will the oil bring out the colour back into the wood, or will I need something else for that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back