Wooden Kitchen Worktops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

A friend has recently bought a house with wooden work surfaces, although the majority of these look nice - there is (predictably?) some discolouration around the sink area which is rough to the touch.

What's his best course of action here? Sand down and re-treat with oil? Start again with a new work surface? It looks pretty poor condition in places, and was apparently tactically hidden when he looked around the house...

Can't figure out how to embed pictures from Google Drive, so the links are:

Thanks,
TFT

Sponsored Links
Does not look like it's seen oil in many years, you could sand and oil but I would replace.

Not sure about it being laminated, if it was it was a very long time ago - it looks and feels bare to the touch (as foxhole says, I doubt it can remember the last time it saw oil)

The area that has turned black is next to the sink, and obviously set up to be a place for things to drain - why anyone would have this kind of set up in the first place makes my mind boggle, particularly when they clearly had no intention on maintaining it...

Thanks for the link though, will give it a trial and see what the results look like.

Sponsored Links
I think it's quite clearly laminated, i.e. glued strips making up the width, as shown in the end grain shots. Anyway the link should help...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back