Relaying floor boards prior to skimming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am preparing each of my upstairs rooms for teh plasterer to come in. This includes internal insulation, removing old electrics and installing new back boxes for power and light switching.

When relaying the old floorboards how far off the plasterboard should i cut them back. The rooms will be rewired after they have been skimmed so the boards will have to be lifted in isolated areas to allow for cables to be pulled. I realize having teh cables pulled now would be preferred but it is not possible.

I had planned to reinstall the boards cut at wall to wall distance less 15mm. Once the walls have been skimmed this will leave a circa 9mm gap (4mm off each wall) to allow for boards to be lifted with relative ease at a later date.

Are there any issues with doing this?

Sponsored Links
you are attempting to do this job back to front.
you have to make "not possible" possible now or you might run into unknown unknowns.

in each room you must first work out full scale section views to give you a finished surface as a benchmark.
you then first fix all elec cables and devices according to the section views.
all elec work in the floors must be first fixed at the same time as the walls and ceiling's.
any BCO inspection - or any Sparkie (with any sense) that you intend to use for compliance - would want to see all first fixing.

floorboards should finish just shy of the walls (say 10mm or less) to provide an expansion gap.

Sorry my 1st post may have been slightly miss leading. The electrician will come in and first fix everything (but after the rooms have been skimmed). All electrical points have been set out with containment routes to each either from the floor or ceiling void so that the cables can be pulled by the sparks. The question is more for the acceptable gap between floorboard and finished wall so that the boards can be lifted at a latter date without destroying the walls (or cutting them).

I don't understand why you are doing things back to front. No one skims and then has the electrician come in a first fix unless you have conduit in the walls that you're planning for the spark to pull the cables through, and even then you'd avoid it.

Just lift the boards you need lifting for the spark before you get the room plastered and refit loose. Then when the spark comes he can just slide the boards out from under the plastered wall without any risk of damage or the boards being cut too short.

Sponsored Links
We are refurbishing an old house and there are conduits within the walls to all areas. We would ideally have the place rewired and then skimmed but as we are living in the house for as long as possible to reduce costs we thought that having 4 of the 5 rooms in a 80% complete state (new door frames, walls skimmed and mist coated, lights cut out) would mean that we could move out for a shorter period to allow the spark to come in and rewire in 1 hit with us then being able to move back in shortly after with only 1 room to mess about with.

Surely this is no different from a house being rewired that was not having any other works carried out in it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back