Reliable dimmers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone found a reliable make of dimmers? The ones I have used in the past (Aurora I think) seem to fail too regularly.

I'm also intrigued why some specify the maximum number of lamps, as well as a maximum wattage. I want to dim 15 g9 LEDs in a fitting, and some dimmers specify a maximum of 10 lamps.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'm also intrigued why some specify the maximum number of lamps, as well as a maximum wattage. I want to dim 15 g9 LEDs in a fitting, and some dimmers specify a maximum of 10 lamps.
Never assume that those who write these rules know what they are talking about.

Maximum wattage is the important criteria.

That's one of the 'important criteria', but I would not be as quick as you in asserting that the number (of LEDs) is not important.

I could well believe that a dimmer might well behave differently when feed multiple 'SMPSUs' (or even just bridges+capacitors) in multiple LED lamps than when feeding just one or two such lamps, even if the total power were similar.

I have to say that my personal experiences have led me to decide that, for the sake of my sanity, LED lamps and dimmers are a combination that I want to keep well away from!

I have to say that my personal experiences have led me to decide that, for the sake of my sanity, LED lamps and dimmers are a combination that I want to keep well away from!
Yes in general I agree. However a while back I came across a pack of 6 LED lamps in Costco that claimed to work with any dimmer. I bought them wondering if I would regret it and fitted them in my 6 lamp fitting in the lounge and to my surprise they work perfectly on the existing dimmer.
Brand? Don’t remember. They are the LED filament type. Cost? Don’t remember but not expensive. Life expectancy? Don’t know but still working after a year of several hours use every night.

Sponsored Links
Yes in general I agree. However a while back I came across a pack of 6 LED lamps in Costco that claimed to work with any dimmer. I bought them wondering if I would regret it and fitted them in my 6 lamp fitting in the lounge and to my surprise they work perfectly on the existing dimmer. Brand? Don’t remember.
Interesting. I would suspect that they were probably very 'cheap and nasty' since the cheaper they get (i.e. with just a capacitor and bridge rectifier) the less likely is it that a dimmer will get upset by feeding several of them.

In view of my (learned!) dislike of the LED+dimmer combination, in several places in my house I have used 2-gang switches to provide switched 'high/low' brightness, the latter achieved by a series capacitor. That works fine provided I use very cheap (capacitor+rectifier) LED lamps, but doesn't work (at all or properly) with more expensive ones, which usually have something closer to an SMPSU withjin them.

Another important criteria is how much current can flow through the LED lamps when the lamps are very dim or switched OFF.

When the dimmer module does not have a Neutral connection then there has to be some current through the lamp to provide the dimmer module with a pseudo Neutral.

As already mentioned supplying the driver inside an LED lamp with the output from a switched mode power supply can result in unstable operation of the combination.

The only way to ensure "reliable" dimming of LED lamps is to use a variable DC source of ELV to feed a lamp that has a current controlling resistor in series with the LED element(s).

I want to dim 15 g9 LEDs in a fitting, and some dimmers specify a maximum of 10 lamps.
I am a fan of the Varilight LED dimmers. But check the spec before you buy. There are two ranges.

from 0W-120W (max. 10 LEDs) V-Com
and from 0W-300W (max. 30 LEDs) V-Pro

Just buy the right device for the job, simples!

Last edited:
The important thing with electronic switches is how much current they pass to work the switch where no neutral is used, and if they will react with any current limiting devices in the bulbs, the standard G9 bulb is very small, G9-small.jpgthere is not much room inside the bulb to house smoothing capacitors or leakage resistors, and I had a real problem with not turning fully off, and a shimmer when turned on, a load capacitor load-capacitor.jpggot around the will not turn off, but to start with had to use one quartz bulb to stop the shimmer when on, the G9 bulbs when using quartz NEED a cover over the bulb so if they shatter white hot bits don't land on the carpet, and to stop harmful rays from the quartz bulb, removing the covers means the whole lamp looks very different, so although these G9-big.jpgLED bulbs removed the problem with shimmer and not switching off, the covers will not fit over the bulbs, so the whole chandelier looks very different. Lucky my wife likes the larger bulb, but the wattage is not marked, and the lumen not marked, enter G9-69SMD-5730 the results seem to show 12 watt each, but since unmarked they should not be sold in the UK, and not seen any for sale on the high street. I am sure the original advert said 6 watt?

The 5 in the chandelier are bright, and in the bedroom really do need dimming, so wife has three smart connected lamps so she can have dimmer lighting if required.

One bulb failed, so I had a look what was inside, the current is limited by a simple capacitor, and also smoothed by a capacitor nearly as big as the smaller bulb, although nothing on the packaging I am sure they would dim, but there must be some inrush with that capacitor so likely for the 5 would need a 5 to 100 watt dimming switch.

The landing presented a problem in many ways, down stairs switch not handy, and need in the main a lot of light, but to go to bathroom at night the amount of light would likely wake people so also wanted low light to go to bathroom. My wife's cure was this DSC_6799.jpg chandelier, I have separated the centre and outer lights, and fitted this DSC_6061r.jpg relay, so main switch works centre lamp, and outers use zigbee, so can use voice commands to turn on inner, outer or all, but can also use wall switch, so as well as being able to dim the centre lamp and change it's colour, we also have loads of light when required. And it looks good Centre_bulb_colours.jpg with just centre lit.

I was always told as a kid there is more than one way to kill a cat, and there are many ways to control lighting today, on the odd time my wife will even use a wall switch, but not very often.

I am a fan of the Varilight LED dimmers. But check the spec before you buy. There are two ranges.

from 0W-120W (max. 10 LEDs) V-Com
and from 0W-300W (max. 30 LEDs) V-Pro

Just buy the right device for the job, simples!
Seconded for the Varilight LED dimmers. We were replacing a dimmer a year in our kitchen with appropriately rated dimmers, but they would start to do odd things or cause flicker after about 6-9 months. I tried various brands, and then bought a Varilight V-Pro unit which has worked perfectly for about 3 years.

+1 for the varilight vpro

Running 8 leds in a dimmable globe monstrosity wifey loves.

Only niggle with led dimming is the minor delay between turning the switch on and seeing light

Only niggle with led dimming is the minor delay between turning the switch on and seeing light
Are you sure that's anything to do with dimming? Many of the LED lights I have take a very short time (probably usually 0.5 to 1.0 seconds) to 'light up' when switched on, even when switched by a good-old 'proper switch'!

Kind Regards, John

Are you sure that's anything to do with dimming?
I think so. I got 12 of the same LED, as its a smaller golfball form.

The others are in various bedside lamps.

I don't notice a delay turning these on (goes and turns one on to be sure). I do get the delay turning 8 on using the varilight vpro.

Maybe it's the bulbs - it's the only dimmable set I have so cannot test

I think so. I got 12 of the same LED, as its a smaller golfball form. The others are in various bedside lamps. I don't notice a delay turning these on (goes and turns one on to be sure). I do get the delay turning 8 on using the varilight vpro.
Fair enough. I have a lot of golfball and candle LEDs and, as I said, for what it's worth, many of them do have a very short 'on delay', with a conventional switch. However, it's not all of them, so they clearly do vary.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back