Relocate bathroom heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We had our bathroom completely demolished (it was an extension to the original cottage) and rebuilt to modern standards in 2014. The contractor fitted a blow heater just above the door.

I had concerns about this from day 1 because the door opens inwards. There was no problem when the door was closed, but if it was left slightly ajar the heat would be thrown directly onto the top edge of the wooden door. Does this matter? It got very hot but nowhere near combustion temperatures. Obviously we always tried to remember to keep the door shut, but I felt it was an accident waiting to happen.

I recently moved the heater a few cm upwards, away from the door and nearer to the ceiling, thinking this would lessen the risk. But this has clearly disrupted the airflow because the heater now cycles on and off every 30 seconds.

It is very difficult to see where else the heater could be relocated safely (outside Zones).

I've seen these heaters commonly fitted over doors, so why is it just me having this problem. Do other people's doors open outwards away from the heat flow? Do they have very high ceilings?

This picture was taken from a trader's own website and demonstrates exactly the problem. Why isn't this a fire risk? My heater is smaller but the principle is the same.

sterling.jpg

Sponsored Links
The manufacturers data will state minimum distances all around the heater and usually a minimum distance above a shelf, a door i quess would be similar.
What makes the unit
Is it a plumbed in unit with an electric fan only inside

Sponsored Links
37151.jpg
Thanks for the replies. The heater is a consort model shown. The instructions state it should be 30cm from the ceiling, which it now isn't, it's 18cm. I realised this when I moved it, I just thought the risk inherent in blasting hot air onto wood at 5cm distance outweighed the risk of poor air circulation, given that 18cm is still a pretty big gap.

There are lots of cases of people fitting these above doors, both on trade websites like the one I posted, and I have also seen similar in other people's houses on occasion. Should I just move the heater back and forget about it? I mean I don't think it could ignite the door. I have a woodburning stove and I know just how difficult it is to get a big chunk of wood to catch fire.

I even thought about a safety switch which cut the heater off when the door is open, but I know of no such contraption on the market.

First thought- the heater obviously has some internal overheat protection which may operate if the outlet is obstructed (by your door). Test it. Also, try leaving the door ajar for 30 mins or so with the heater running and see what happens (if anything) to the door- if the paint doesn't start bubbling then I'd assess the fire risk as low. You do need to drop the heater away from the ceiling so it has adequate airflow.
Second thought- it is easy to notice that the door to my shower room is ajar- it gets very cold very quickly. If yours is the same then users (assuming they are family rather than tenants) will probably notice and correct the issue.
Third thought- you could use one of these https://www.toolstation.com/shop/El...3/White+Flat+Plate+Mortice+Door+Switch/p52171 and a relay (all these switches seem to be push to break, the relay would be wired to be permanently energised UNLESS the door is closed, relay wired into the supply for the heater on the NC side). Relay etc should be outside the zones (in the roofspace with an access hatch would be neatest).
If you can find a mains-rated microswitch that'll do the current (10A?) then you could build that into the doorframe and forget the relay.......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back