Bathroom fan question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Recently moved into a 70s bungalow with no extractor in bathroom.
There is an electric fan heater on the bathroom wall with a pull cord and fused switch outside the bathroom door at head height.
I don't need this heater so I am considering using the wiring for my future fan, but with a 3amp fuse rather than the current 13amp one.
Which option would be best;
- install a simple fan without timer and controlled only by the wall switch in the hall? Is that even acceptable under regs?
- install a fan with timer? How could it be wired up so the timer would even work...?
Install a fan with pull cord?
NB: whatever I do, the fan will have to go in the ceiling as the wall concerned is internal. From the loft above I will drill out through the other wall 1.5 metres away for the venting. I've heard though that pull cords don't work that well in ceiling installations...
TIA

Sponsored Links
Simplest way would be a fan with built in PIR and timer, perhaps also including humidity switch. If you walk in to the room day or night, turning light on or not, the fan will come on and run until it times out. If the humidity is high, it will run until the room dries out.

No need for a pull cord, your existing switch will be fine.

Fans can be controlled by various things.
Pull cords are not necessary.
A normal wall switch can be used.
Including inside the bathroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back