Relocate combi Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

Need advice/help for best place to relocate boiler (80k btu's) in new extension. Planning to move boiler 4.4 meters from exhisting position. Currently boiler serving 9 rads, 3 hot water taps and a shower.

Hoping to use same boiler for 12 radiators 4 hot water taps and 2 showers. Am I correct in assuming moving boiler away from current hot water draw off points will have some effect on its performance also will it cope with additional radiators. All of you fine guys please help. Thank you all in advance.

Sponsored Links
What boiler do you have?

If it's a Combi, you will find that it can't cope with the hot water demand. It might be a good moment to upgrade to at least a 30 kW or bigger combi, or a storage combi, or an unvented system. In any case the Building Regulations require new installations to be condensing boilers, which I think (?) covers moving an existing boiler a substantial distance too.

There is more work involved in moving a boiler than fitting an old one.

There is no reason why an existing combi cannot be used to heat up a storage cylinder to be used to feed the second bathroom.

Tony

chrishutt said:
What boiler do you have?

If it's a Combi, you will find that it can't cope with the hot water demand. It might be a good moment to upgrade to at least a 30 kW or bigger combi, or a storage combi, or an unvented system. In any case the Building Regulations require new installations to be condensing boilers, which I think (?) covers moving an existing boiler a substantial distance too.

Hi "chrishutt"

Got carried away when typing info for thread. My boiler is vaillant ecomax 828/2 E (condesing).

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
There is more work involved in moving a boiler than fitting an old one.

There is no reason why an existing combi cannot be used to heat up a storage cylinder to be used to feed the second bathroom.

Tony

Hi "Tony" My boiler is just over two year old. Having read most of your responses to threads I consider you guys to be knowledgable and helpful. I would appreciate if I could get accurate info for the project. This will save me problems after relocation.

The 828 has an output of 28kW (=100,000 btu/hr) - you said your boiler was 80,000 btu/hr. Anyway it's a combi boiler (hot water flow around 12 litres/minute) which might just about cope with your hot water demand. Relocation should be carried out as if it was a new installation - i.e. by a Corgi installer familiar with the requirements for condensing boilers.

PS - watch out for condensate leakage at back of and below heat exchanger. If any sign of it, try to get it sorted before the guarantee runs out.

Quote """Hi "Tony" My boiler is just over two year old. Having read most of your responses to threads I consider you guys to be knowledgable and helpful. I would appreciate if I could get accurate info for the project. This will save me problems after relocation."""

I dont really understand what you are saying here. Are you suggesting that I have not given you accurate info?

Tony

Agile said:
Quote """Hi "Tony" My boiler is just over two year old. Having read most of your responses to threads I consider you guys to be knowledgable and helpful. I would appreciate if I could get accurate info for the project. This will save me problems after relocation."""

I dont really understand what you are saying here. Are you suggesting that I have not given you accurate info?

Tony
Hi "Tony"

I don't at all mean "you are not giving accurate info". I have said I consider you guys very knowledgable and helpful. Helpful you guys are. That is why this forum is a success.
Having so much do with my extension (selfbuild). I want to avoid mistakes. Laying pipework in the new bit is easy (no floors in). Can't move boiler until the roof goes up.

Two years ago the plumber(gas engineer) installed the boiler in less than four hours following a cleaning process previous day but struggled to commission. Left me in a limbo. I had no heating and hot water for 3 days. New guy rewired controls comissioned the boiler in a day. Explained clearly and precisely how this boiler works. It wasn't you Tony by any chance. You are well come to refit it any time.

It certainly was not me! I dont go further north than Nuneaton except to visit trade shows in Manchester!

Sorry to hear that your "box fitter" was unable to commission the new boiler, that demonstrates his low level of competence.

However you seem to have been happy with the second fellow. Is he still available?

Tony

chrishutt said:
What boiler do you have?

In any case the Building Regulations require new installations to be condensing boilers, which I think (?) covers moving an existing boiler a substantial distance too.

Chris I cannot find anything which covers this scenario.

The Assessment Guide makes mention of "the installation of a boiler" which could be intepreted as a new or existing boiler. But then on the form it only refers to a 'new' boiler.

The Energy efficiency Partnership Guide only refers to "Replacement of Boiler"

The ODPM Advice to Householders "Change your existing boiler" and also "if you plan to install a new boiler or replace an existing one".

Part L refers to 'Replacement' of a boiler.

Have you got any other leads on this?

I'm sure I saw something on this somewhere. I think the underlying principle must be that substantially moving an existing boiler is effectively a new installation. When I've got time I'll have a look around on the net. I would imagine it would come under Part L, although Gas Safety Regs might have something to say about installing used/second hand appliances.

In this particular case the poster already has a condensing boiler so it's not an issue, providing the new location is Ok on flueing and condensate disposal.

must say that i thought i read or was told about this to.

i will ring our training provider tomorrow and see what they say.

Are you meant to submit a notification to CORGI if you move a boiler?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back